F-89C Mods 2nd reply

Jon, got out my trusty magifying glass just in case. Got a B&W photo of an F-89A 49-2435 with a spoked nose wheel. An F-89D ( only # on tail visible ) U.S Air Force 22622 / Spoked nose wheel. F-89C 51-5793 74th FIS, spoked wheels, F-89B 49-2472 Idaho ANG ( photo taken 1956 ), spoked wheels. Can,t find anymore tight shots. As for the picture being an operational phot or test photo their is no way of telling. I did find some good close B&W photos of your air scoop question. The caption states ; BEGINNING with the F-89D scoops were added to the fuselage just above the trailing edge of the wing.These scoops wer for cooling the aft radio and electrical equiptment bay, and the exited the bay through vents According to the text it states that STARTING with the F-89D and subsequent models the vents were added,so it would be correct to fill them in on the C model. Thats about all I can find. I gues if you want to really be accurate you would have to make those small changes. It was interesting and aa they say " You learn something every day" Thanks for the reply and input. Your Scorpion really looks sharp.

Thanks Seamaster. Seems to me that going with spoked wheels is safer for earlier models. Thanks also for confirming the air intake issue - I was going off some photos of F-89Cs for the 74th FIS and none that I could see had them. I doubt I'll ever build another C model, but if you do turn up any info on them carrying rockets operationally, I'd be interested! It's one of those planes which is so ugly you've gotta love it, so I might build a D or J in the future...

Thanks for the compliments.

cheers

Jon

I'll add in my two cents. I am in process of building a J for my MT ANG collection, and I've found something I find interesting.

The kit wheel from the J is smooth, like Jon described, and most photos I can find support that. However the particular tail number I am doing has the spoked wheels in a photo I have.

Basically, I think there may be some variation based on the actual tail number you are doing.

For instance, ANG J's did not get the Falcons, or so I am told.

Cheers

I'll add in my two cents. I am in process of building a J for my MT ANG collection, and I've found something I find interesting.

The kit wheel from the J is smooth, like Jon described, and most photos I can find support that. However the particular tail number I am doing has the spoked wheels in a photo I have.

Basically, I think there may be some variation based on the actual tail number you are doing.

For instance, ANG J's did not get the Falcons, or so I am told.

Cheers

umgriz, thanks for the input. That is interesting Seamaster