Frank Liesendahl's 109F

Can anyone help on this?

I have Superscale Decal sheet 48-809 which includes a scheme for Major Frank Liesendahl, 10/JG2. This is fairly solid 70/83/76 with white rudder (Blue '1'.)

This seems to conflict with a picture on Warpaint #2, Bf109 Page 4 - which appears mottled rather than solid painted (looks like the '1' replaced something) and implication is a YELLOW rudder. This is substantiated - may in fact be the source for - the picture on http://www.michael-reimer.com/CFS2/CFS2_Pr...twaffe_JG2.html, which is quoted as the same W/Nr (7629) Mind you, Hr Liesendahl is credited there as Oberleutnant.

Is this the same aircraft?

Many thanks in advance,

Patrick

There is a photograph of 'Blue 1 <-' in Classic's Jagdwaffe series, Vol4, Part1, p31. The mottle is normal for a early 1942 Bf 109F - 74/75/76 with 75 mottling over 76 on the fuselage sides. From the photo, it doesn't appear as heavy as in the profile you linked. It also confirms that there is heavier coat of 74 or 75 under the '1' and the '<-'There is also a color profile of it which displays the 10.(Jabo)/JG2 emblem as red-brown, not bright red. Liesendahl was an Oberleutant when he was lost in July 1942 flying a Fw 190A-2 'Blue 14'

In addition to what Chuck1945 says, by the time Leisendahl's _f was in service, RLM 70 was passe and RLM83 was yet to be developed. Chuck1945 is correct when he syas 74/75/76for the color scheme, and Patrick's info source is highly suspect. . brgds, Hal :thumbsup::woot.gif: :D

Gentlemen,

Thank you both for your helpful replies. Obliged to you.

May I push my luck a little and ask (Chuck?), said picture in the Jagdwaffe text, does the rudder appear yellow or white? It's just the ship kill markings are going to be a bit difficult to reconstitute if I get this wrong.

Many thanks,

Patrick

The photo shows a very light colored rudder, it could pass for white. Unfortunately it is a 3/4 view from port rear quarter so the undercowl panel does not show up. According to the color profile, both the rudder and cowl bottom panel are yellow. There are a couple of other photos of 10./JG2 109s. One, blue '12 <-' displays the both the cowl and rudder, both appear the same shade in the picture AND are too dark to pass for white. Note also that yellow was a standard undercowl color for JG2.

Of interest is a second Bf 109F-4B, this time 'blue 7' and it carries the same tail ship talley markings as Liesedahl's 'blue 1' suggesting to the authors that perhaps they represent a staffel score board rather then an individual pilot's score.

Patrick, contact me via PM if you ned a scan.

Edited by Chuck1945

Chuck,

Thankyou for that extremely helpful information. It seems to me from that yellow is a safe and representative way to go, and I'm most obliged to you for clarifying that and giving me overall assurance on the scheme. I did wonder about the ship markings, too, so that adds further to the value.

Thanks also to Hal for previous assistance.

Cheers!

Patrick