Tamiya F-14 Black Knights

Over all in shape and outline, the Tamiya kit is very accurate. The cockpit is bunk, being all decals. However, Blackbox and Teknics make resin sets for this problem. There are numerous F-14A decals from Superscale and CAM, albeit the kit decals for VF-154 are very nice and well done. The VF-154 boxing comes with modern guided weapons and guidance pods. Surface detail is a mixed bag: scribed nose, wings and tails; raised fuselage with a ginormous panel in the dead center of the bottom.

It takes a bit of elbow grease to make a winner, but it can be done.

It's fairly accurate fexternally or a late -A model, but the cockpit is pretty poor. Plenty of aftermarket available:

Teknics: -A, -B, and -D cockpit sets, -B conversion, -D conversion, LANTIRN pod and pylon

Black box: -A, -B, and -D cockpit sets.

Eduard Interior and Exterior PE sets

Cutting Edge BOL rails

Plenty of decals from Zotz, CAM, and Yellowhammer, to name a few.

the Teknics set is over-priced and over-rated compared to it's contemporaries... definately in your interests to go Black Box on this one.

I have both pits. The Teknics pit fits better than the BlackBox offering. I only had to remove the area on the bottom of the Teknics pit "as marked"to get it to fit the first time. I had to sand and fit, sand and fit the BlackBox pit so many times that i put it back in the box and threw it into the closet. I have also had issues with the BlackBox offering being brittle and parts breaking off or cracking during the building process as where on the Teknics pit did not crack or break during the building process also its nice to open the box and not see parts broken off when your pit arrives from ups. We all know that nothing on the aftermarket is 100% accurate to its real life counterpart. So, it comes down to personal preferrence. If you like blackbox then buy their pit if you like teknics then buy their pit. I wouldnt call paying less for a Teknics pit as being overpriced. I want to make this clear im talking about the pit alone and not the other aftermarket parts to make a B or D Tomcat, ie; airframe conversion sets.

Retail Prices:

Black Box D Pit retails for $50.00

Teknics D Pit retails for $46.99

Prices are from the local Hobby Town