Thanks for th welcome Doc. The last few days I've been scrounging for bits of leftover PE and plastic and have made my seats and flight controls. The seats are simple slatted chairs, much like an Adirondak Chair. They are made from .040 and .020 plastic cut into appropriate sized strips. The MF had an option for dual flight controls, so I added them to this particular model, as to me it looks odd having a single set of flight controls on airplane. It just aint right. The wheel centers are from Foto-Cut's WW1 Extravaganza set, and everything else was made from brass or copper wire and Evergreen .020 and .030 plastic rod. The Rudder posts were perhaps the most challenging, as the rudder bars sit atop a stand that looks much like a modern day automotive jackstand. The only thing I had that was close was some scrap PE frets, so I cut out a couple of + shaped bits and made about 6 before I had 2 that I thought were usable. I have some tidying up of the parts to do yet, but the basic pieces are there. Today I want to get the interior painted so I can put the hull halves together and begin assembling the model. Between the seats, rudder bars and Control Column there's 85 pieces in all.

mfboat36a.jpg

Flight Controls roughed out. I have to add the pullies for the aileron control cables, and also figure out how to best replicate bicycle chain that was used to connect the two control wheels together.

mfboat37a.jpg

Seats and Rudder Bars. I placed the 6 inch/150mm Scale next to the parts for a size reference.

Until next time.

Cheers

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Curtiss MF Boat is nearly finished, and I have some current pictures posted in the Classic Forum if you would like to look. As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Skyking

Thanks for the comments Doc, but trust me I've tried knitting... modeling is a lot easier..lol.

The wee beastie is about 99.99999% complete, I just have to add the windscreen and mount it permanently to the base, other than that it is as finished as it will ever get. I'll post a hot or two of the finished model when it's complete, hopefully by this weekend. The final phases of rigging were actually the most trying. I used a different monofilament on this one than I am used to, and it has quite a "memory" off the spool and was very difficult to keep tight and straight. I think next time I will go back to the other spool I have and give this one to SWMBO and let her use it for her beads. I had to touch up a couple of oops here and there, but overall I am quite happy with it. It had no major problems during construction, other than the one episode with the wing. I've bult kits that were more hair raising than this, so overall it was a very pleasent build.

MFBoat66a.jpg

Head on view. Everything looks nice and straight and square. The effort of the jig paid off.

MFBoat67a.jpg

3/4 front view

MFBoat70a.jpg

3/4 rear view. This is perhaps my favorite view, showing the engine and cockpit instrument boar.

MFBoat72a.jpg

Side view. I was really pumped at the strut alignment. None of them "wandered" on me and they are all parallel and evenly spaced. Another dividend from taking the time to make the alignment jig.

Thanks for looking everyone. As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Cheers

Mike

I added the finishing touches to it over the weekend and it's now officially done. Doc if you want more images for your webpage let me know. There will be a full build article for IM, and then here later if Steve chooses to run it.

FinishedMF01a.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Mike