1/72 Academy A-37 Dragonfly

Damn, son, you're quite the machoist! I would've left the nose gear as-is and painted in the areas that you've drilled out! Of course that's why I'll always be a second class modeler....

Nice work. Really.

HAHA!! Thanks Steven. :)

That kind of solid nose wheel jobby really hacks me off - I simply had to do something about it! Anyway mate, isn't it about time you posted some pics of your planes? :cheers:

Isn't it about time you posted some pics of your planes? :)

Ah, but I have!

MiG-29

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....=108311&hl=

F-16A

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....c=70958&hl=

I'm working on a 1/72 RF-4B right now, but I don't have the discipline to take photos as I go. Plus, it's not all that interesting a build.

Years ago an early mentor of mine looked at a model with me at a contest and said the paint was "too rich." I didn't understand what that meant until I looked at my own models compared to those that seemed better and realized that my paint was too thick and too darkish.

So now I'm really into trying to capture so-called "scale effect." I lighten my colors considerably (especially important with 1/72 IMHO), and then I vary those a bit and paint several panels and flying surfaces slightly lighter or darker than the overall area. I also avoid straight black ANYWHERE on the model at all costs.

I like the result, but I'm learning how to get other, more subtle weathering effects just right.

• 1 month later...