VF-31 and Grumman: In the Beginning

Inspired by Neu's beautiful VF-31 Final Flight Tomcats, I decided to do a profile of the first Grumman fighter used by VF-31 (or VF-3 as they were called in the late 30s). This is going to be the Section Leader's aircraft of the 3rd section of VF-3, flying from the USS Saratoga circa 1937.

Here's the line drawing, a composite of the best parts of 3 plans compared to photos of the F3F-1. A good subtitle for this would be "The Revenge of the Rivets".

F3F-rivet-800.jpg

Some corrections have been made to the drawing and areas of basic color added.

F3F-Basic-Colors.jpg

Some more corrections (The published versions of the VF-31 Felix the Cat emblem and even the decal version for the AM kit didn't look right, so I drew it from a photo of the actual bird.) and lots of airbrush work added.

F3F_2-8-07.jpg

I'm in the home stretch, but now I have to paint each one of those rivets! :P

Felix,

Is this all done on computer? Amazing work, I wish I had your talent. Have lotes of ideas I wish I could put on paper...er...uh....computer.

Now for something really cool? Add a VFA-31 Rhino flying formation with the F3F....nose up, flaps down, mushing along trying to stay with the old Grumman! :cheers:

Chappie

Stephen,

He's smiling because he's thinking about that excellent modern fighter he's about to be issued, the Brewster Buffalo :bandhead2: .

Chappie,

Thanks,

For me, this work is actually easier to do in Photoshop because the undo button saves you from ruining all the work that you've done up to that one little mistake :thumbsup: .

One of the original reasons for doing this profile was to do the research and get some experience of the VF-3 F3Fs in prep for a painting that would show the F3F with the final VF-31 F-14 over Grumman Bethpage. Kind of "Anytime, Toots" vs "Anytime, Baby". I've still got a lot of work to do on that one.

Lieuwe,

The line drawing is actually put together from a few layers so that I could vary the intensity of the lines. When I'm finished painting, I'll just dump the layer with the lines that I no longer need. At least that's the plan :beer4:

Don,

That skipper reminds me of an Outer Limits (the original series) episode for some reason. Must have lots of traps on one 'o' them nuke boats with poor containment on the reactor.

My dad was in VF-31 back when I was spawned. Felix is no stranger to our home.

Regards,

Stephen

• 1 month later...

Again, really great work! This is a product already and would look nice framed on any walls!

Yes I know I still have to put this and the tomcat together with the proper proportions, I'm just a bit behind with some orders from units. hopefully I can get all of these out of the door, and spend some time with this!

Once again, really good job, and nice presentation! :thumbsup:

Greetings, neu :wave:

www.deploymentproductions.com

No sweat Neu,

I understand not having the time to do everything that you want, being semi-buried myself. Trying to get the work I've done printed to my satisfaction is becoming a PITA also. I may have to break down and buy my own printer.