Beech F-2 profile

I'm starting a new profile of a USAAC Beech F-2 of the 1st Photo Squadron, used in photo mapping Alaska in 1940-41. I'll post more in progress pics if it might be of help to some.

This is the original scanned side view of a Beech B-18S, which I'll import into Corel Draw and convert into an F-2 photo plane (correcting any mistakes found by checking photos).

F-2.jpg

I've retracted the gear and deleted some details that weren't on C-45 variants. I traced the bitmap with vectors, adding some of the features that the F-2 had (different antennas, photo hatches). The vector lines are kept thin and are gray rather than black.

F-2-pattern.jpg

I have a little more cleaning up to do on the drawing and I see that I've missed a couple of things, but I can now export the .cdr file as a .psd file to Photoshop and start painting.

• 3 weeks later...

Working on the AW Siskin profiles was starting to get to me, so I decided to go back to the Beech for some R & R. I changed a few details after finding some additional pics and added a basic color for the airframe, which will be highly polished natural metal. I then added some new layers containing the USAAC markings and the high visibility upper surfaces.

F-2_3-11-07_1st_color.jpg

The lettering behind the cabin door reads "BY ORDER OF THE CHIEF OF THE AIR CORPS THIS AIRPLANE WILL BE USED FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC PURPOSES ONLY". It seems that high ranking officers would try to comandeer the F-2s for use as personal transport. Their job of photo mapping for the construction of the Alaskan Highway was considered very important in 1941.

Thanks Dogsbody, but I have to admit that Photoshop makes it easy to get results that would be much, much harder, if possible at all, with a physical medium.

Some shadows and modeling added.

F-2_3_13_07.jpg

My first battle with a bare metal finish has begun.This one has to be very shiny. I'm still struggling a bit, but making some progress.

F-2_bare-metal-3-16.jpg

The undersurfaces will most likely feature reflections from snow/mountains

First try; 25,000 feet over the Alaskan countryside and mountains. The pilot's wearing winter flight gear and an old style A-7 oxygen mask with a throat mike (you wouldn't last long in an A-2 in the 50-60 below temps at that altitude).

Alaskan-F-2.jpg

I've added mountains to the background for atmosphere, a thin border for the image and a title. I'll add a text blurb with a little history and the squadron insignia of the 1st Photo Squadron, if I can find it. I may also add a small map of the AlCan Highway.

f-2-with-mts.jpg

If anyone has an image of the squadron insignia, I'd appreciate a look.

Really good Don! I love the plane, and I love the whole presentation of it! It looks like a product, not an artwork only! Congrats! :)

Greetings, neu :wave:

www.deploymentproductions.com

• 17 years later...

Don:

do you have any data/plans/photos of the camera ports on the belly of the F-2?  There is an article in the September 1941 issue of Popular Science (pp104-5) that had an interior photo of the camera setup and a photo of the camera, the interior photo can/will provide the approximate location of the camera installation, but the photos do not show an exterior view.  I want to use the ICM m1/48th kit honor the 1st Photographic Squadron over Alaska & want to get the belly right.

BMH1/48