Modeling room question

I'm in the process of buying my first home (woohoo!) but am running into a dilemma.

One of the requirements is that I have a modeling room, area, space whatever. Unfortunately, 3 bedrooms are spoken for and 4+ bedrooms is tough to find in my price/quality ratio range.

What I am seeing a lot of are these outdoor utility sheds... size wise they're just fine for my modeling needs but I'm concerned about weather/elements. I live in Oklahoma where the winters are mild, but the summers are brutal and humid- besides the discomfort level, 95+ degrees can't be good for models I would think.

My question; anybody have any successful experience in rennovating one of these "shacks"- insulation, electricity, a/c, heat, leak issues etc...?

Is this plausible and cost effective?

Hi DAX

I use a utility shed for my modeling year round. I do bring my paints indoors though in the winter months, to keep them from freezing. But when I go out to my 30ft/12ft building I have a electric heater I use at the end of the building I am working in. I'm down here in Louisiana so it does get hot but I use a fan in the summer, that's to keep the skeeters, and other critters blown away and staying cool. Also keeps the paint fumes blown away. My building has a roller type front door like you see on a carport, and a side door by keeping both open it's been cool enough for me. we do keep the riding lawn mower at one end of the building, I model at the other end. when I purchased the building I requested insulation in the ceiling, I added the wiring, a breaker box, then insulated the walls, added plywood for my panelling. It would be a plus having windows, you can place a combine window AC/heater unit in one of the windows.

Hope that helps. Just look around, and ask most pf the utility shed places will build to your needs.

Also while living down in Houston I modeled in my carport winter and summer.

Don923(flylo)

Yes, Don, that helps tremendously- especially since you're just down in LA, I'd imagine the weather is comparable, if not hotter/more humid down there.

Definitely gives me hope- thanks!

Gidday Dax,

You shouldn't have any major problems using a shed as a modelling space. I have two mates who have those little metal garden lockers as hobby workshops.

One lined his with polystyrene sheets on the walls and underside of the roof, effectively making it an Esky. (or cooler) His floor is concrete paving slabs. He was having trouble in summer due to the small size, it'd heat up really quick and stay hot. We pulled a double later of shade-cloth over the roof, leaving about 100mm airgap and punched out an awning which can be propped open. Those mods worked fairly well.

The other is still moving into his and has yet to line the walls, although the roof was attended to straight away. Once again, shade-cloth was employed to keep the hot West Aussie sun off the green tin. His floor is brick pavers direct on sand.

Just be careful about placing things on the floor as moisture will ruin cardboard, decals, instructions etc. We 'found' some damaged plastic bread crates which are now employed as plinths for storage. I don't know what your local building regulations have to say about heights and areas of sheds, we need to keep the average height to -2.1m (about 7') and under 4 sq.m (43 sq.ft) or we require a building license to put it up.

G

Hey Dax,

I am in a very similar situation, I lost my model room to our new baby nursery. We have a small shed in the back (only 8' X 12') and I am planning on closing it in to make a hobby room. I gonna sheet rock, insulate and get a little window unit to keep it cool. I found a pretty cheap one at home depot that actually has a good thermostat so I can leave it set to about 80 degrees, to keep the humidity down (I live in southeast Texas, 75% humidity is a dry day!)

Anyway, I figured the cost, and it's just under $400 dollars to weather proof my little shed, so I think it's not a bad deal. Hope yours turns out well, post a pic and I'll do the same, would love to see hoe it comes out.

Take care,

Bill

Dax, I'm in OKC. From 2000 to 2005 I built an insulated 10x012 room in one side of my garage. Ran an AC in the summer and got a oil filled room heater from walmart in the winter. Worked like a champ. The trick is insulating the thing.

Tom

Awesome advice guys, thanks so much! I just put a contract in for a house that has a large enough garage and a perfect concrete area out back for the shed, so it looks like I have two options.

One other question- with regards to the AC- do you just flip it on when you're out there? If I'm not in the room for a few days in the summer and its allowed to bake a little what temp is going to start having ill effects on the plastic? Or should the kits go back into the house when not being worked on?

Dax,

Congratulations on making the offer.

I wouldn't worry too much about the effect of envirnonmental heat on lastic, I have in my collection (and built) some kits which were stored in a seatainer in full sun for about 5 years before I bought them. In Port Hedland West Oz, Death Valley is milder. The only thing wrong with any kit were decals stuck to the cover sheet of 4 of the 10 Matchbox kits.

My suggestion of a double layer of shade cloth still stands. It mellows the amount of absorbable heat.

G

Awesome advice guys, thanks so much! I just put a contract in for a house that has a large enough garage and a perfect concrete area out back for the shed, so it looks like I have two options.

One other question- with regards to the AC- do you just flip it on when you're out there? If I'm not in the room for a few days in the summer and its allowed to bake a little what temp is going to start having ill effects on the plastic? Or should the kits go back into the house when not being worked on?

I think I'm just gonna set my ac to kick on around 80 to 90 degrees or so. That shouldn't take too much electricity, but still maintain a reasonably safe temp for paints and plastics and such. Another thing my father-in-law suggested (I hadn't thought about it) is to not crank the ac up too high too fast. That will help cut back on unwanted condensation. Gotta love the father-in-law, smart fellow :worship:

good luck.

Bill

Bill,s right about the window unit, I would think the paint would go bab more during the below freezing days rather than the hot days. I bring my paints into the house in the winter months, as I don't run my heater unless I'm in my sheld.

Another though on the window unit, is spend just alittle more and get one that is also a heater in the winter months. Just get good insulations, I didn't go with sheet rock I went with paneling, and left over plywood. some peg board where I wanted to hang shelves, and tools.

Don923(flylo)