Canopy aging, discoloration

Anyone know how to make a canopy look aged and discolored?

Maveryck

I suppose you can tint it with a light mixture of clear yellow, smoke and clear. The extra clear is to further dilute the yellow and smoke, so that it doesn't look like a tinted canopy found on modern jet fighters. You can finish it off with a light mist of semigloss clear to cut the shininess of the canopy, if that is the look you're striving for.

I usually mask it off and then airbrush a milky white mixture in the corners and around the base and then go back to the corners and add an umber to simulate sunburned Plexi.

Edited by Roi
I usually mask it off and then airbrush a milky white mixture in the corners and around the base and then go back to the corners and add an umber to simulate sunburned Plexi.

Milky white meaning...flat, satin, matt white? Or is this your own concoction?

one effect I've seen done (enter at your own risk) is the spray with milky white as suggested, but also to very lightly "crack" the plastic. Not so much that it really cracks, just to the point where you get those tight stress lines that plexi can get from sun damage.....It looked amazingly real. The guy who did it said he just heated it in hot water and lightly pushed til it got the look. I'm too scared to try, and i'd recommend testing first.

Bill

I use flat coat mixed with flat white and I have found if you soak it in alcohol and it weakens the plastic so that it can micro fracture with a slight amount of pressure. (always practice on a scrap piece first)

I use flat coat mixed with flat white and I have found if you soak it in alcohol and it weakens the plastic so that it can micro fracture with a slight amount of pressure. (always practice on a scrap piece first)

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Maveryck