Tribute models or just popular subjects?

Hey guys, I'm not sure what to do. I have this 48th scale hasagawa f-18b that i had always planned on doing the no.7 Blue Angel. inlight of the tragic accident, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to go the route that seems inevitable. I know many people will be doing tribute models and paintings and films and what not, I just don't want to come across like someone jumping in for the heck of it. So what do you all think? Should i hold off on that build? If i do go ahead with it, should I try to build his jet when he no. 7 or just take whatever decals i can find? Any opinions on this would be welcome.

Bill

Hey guys, I'm not sure what to do. I have this 48th scale hasagawa f-18b that i had always planned on doing the no.7 Blue Angel. inlight of the tragic accident, I'm not sure if it's appropriate to go the route that seems inevitable. I know many people will be doing tribute models and paintings and films and what not, I just don't want to come across like someone jumping in for the heck of it. So what do you all think? Should i hold off on that build? If i do go ahead with it, should I try to build his jet when he no. 7 or just take whatever decals i can find? Any opinions on this would be welcome.

Bill

I say just build it !

If you feel like building it, you should!

What we do...scale modeling....is merely an artistic expression for things that we fell passionately about, namely aviation. It obviously affected everybody who has a love for aviation and a respect for the military when the Blues accident happened. Very few of us knew the pilot but we all felt the loss personally because we love aviation and we love the people who do it in defense of their countries. Its perfectly normal for you to feel like expressing that sense of loss in a way that means something to you like modeling. People write songs, poetry, make tribute videos or photographic presentations to expres their feelings. What you are doing is both honoring LCDR. Davis and coming to terms with your own sense of loss at his passing. No need to feel badly about that. Do it up.

Extremely well put! <_<

I say go ahead and build. My Columbia model was done up as STS-107 because in my own case it was a form of therapy and I wanted to contribute to the positive memories, not the negative ones. Reason being is it was "my" shuttle in so far as Columbia was the orbiter I had seen up close and personal the most times prior to 2003 and had been a part of my childhood as I was too young to remember the Apollo program.

I plan to do my own Blue Angel #6 as I have a kit and the decals picked out for it. It isn't something I do for everything, just stuff that tends to affect me more then others. I don't consider it morbid at all if such a model is done tastefully and for a positive reason. If you feel strongly about wanting to do it, nothing should hold up your progress for doing it. Strong feelings can also help to make such a model one of the best ever done too since one tends to put something extra special into such a project.

thanks for the response guys. So I guess the next question is, does anyone make Blue Angel decals with the number 7 included or at least who makes the best sheet of the blues? I have the revell kits with the decals, but I'm not sure how accurate or even good these are. They also don't include the 7 so i'd have to make my own no. and hope to be able to match the color. Again, any help would be well.....helpfull. :soapbox:

Bill