BIG E... back out again

The new Navy...then when the guys roll to shore duty they get to go see Iraq, AF or Djibouti for a year.

Coincidently...the Navy is hemorrhaging people, especially aircrew.

Not sure what you mean by disaster specifically, but with the people, when you mix optempo (and I mean the being underway just to float somewhere, not middle east ops) with overall poor leadership, then align that with the end of minimum-service requirements for the post 9/11 crowd and the expiration of the bonus for all those that could have left around 9/11 (and didn't do to "duty" and a poor job market) and put them in a booming job market (especially for pilots) and you can see where people are going to go.

Not to mention on the Navy side, I think leadership has lost touch with the quality enlisted folks and what it would take to keep them around. My experience as a squadron DH (and one who had dropped his letter) was rather than work hard to give sailors the tools they need to succeed in or out of the Navy, we tended to try to scare them about how bad the "real" world was. So, instead of a sh!t hot E-5 leaving active duty to go to school or work, with an in-place reserve commitment they were excited about and much good will towards their navy time, guys are leaving PO'd with their leadership looking to put as much distance as they can between themselves and the Navy and do nothing but discourage other folks from joining.

I like the "once a Marine, always a Marine" philosophy - it's good for the organization and the best recruiters the USMC has are those former Marines scattered around the US.

sorry for the :salute: long held frustrations coming back. In the end, it's the leadership, stupid.

Spongebob

Edited by Spongebob

Oh...conscription is the LAST thing needed. What is needed is good leadership! 99% of the troops are the best people on the planet - they just need to be lead.

Unfortunately, many (most?) of the good guys get frustrated and leave before they can make an impact, or choose to work "operationally" and don't get the tickets needed to play at the higher levels.

HTH

Spongebob

BIG E went out on a world cruise last may and returned in November.... along with CVW-1... their back out after only 8 months...bummer...

That's FRP.

No, not "Fleet Response Plan."

"Failed Retention Plan."