Trying to design homemade decals

Well I guess I just did, sorry. Ive been at this for 9 hours and its killing me. I took some advise and down loaded the free trial of CorelDraw and began trying to draw the November Delta insignia for VA-304. Its a really nice program but extremely brutal for those who arent familiar. So I got the outline down in 4 hours then when I tried to color it gray for some reason it didnt take. So the next five was spent trying different combo's and layers and still nothing. I guess I'm venting more anything although ANY suggestions at this point would be warmly welcomed. It just seams to me that 9 hours to draw one basic design is rediculous. Anyway, here is what Ive got so far. Maybe someone can give me a hand with this. Thanks guys.Backup_of_DeltaNovember.jpg

Edited by Hooker169

Don't feel bad, when I was first learning how to use Illustrator, I got so frustrated that I wanted to chop my own hands off. Once you "get it" though, it's a sweet feeling. For me the key was one book. I don't know if there is that "one book" out there for Draw, but the one I got for AI had all the answers and a great index where I could look things up by subject.

If you're interested in getting a book on Draw, I suggest going to the nearest Borders (or whatever) and grabbing all the Draw books they have and grabbing a seat and look through them all. Try to pick a subject and see how each book handles it.

Good luck

Don't feel bad, when I was first learning how to use Illustrator, I got so frustrated that I wanted to chop my own hands off. Once you "get it" though, it's a sweet feeling. For me the key was one book. I don't know if there is that "one book" out there for Draw, but the one I got for AI had all the answers and a great index where I could look things up by subject.

If you're interested in getting a book on Draw, I suggest going to the nearest Borders (or whatever) and grabbing all the Draw books they have and grabbing a seat and look through them all. Try to pick a subject and see how each book handles it.

Good luck

Thanks guys I do appreciate the encouragement. Im going to check these sites out and search amazon to see what they have as far as instruction. I received some help from at least a half dozen guys last night and this morning so I cant thank ARC enough. Its a good feeling knowing guys who have been through the same,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Jeez, starting to sound like Im at one of those meetings, uh um, anyway Thanks Men.

Edited by Hooker169

It's called "Real World Adobe Illustrator" by Deke McClelland. Now, the version I have is for AI 10, but most of the basics are still the same. Paths, etc.

I paid full price for mine because I had to have it to finish an assignment (DOH!) but you can get it for less than $10 on Amazon used.

Pete