Nice Rhino Shot !

I don't recall ever seeing vortices coming off of the LEXes like in this shot ... They are not at a high AOA afterall ...

Never noticed them either in routine level flight. The Raptor is the only plane I've seen that seems to generate vortices at the end of the wingtips and vertical tails very easily though.

Never noticed them either in routine level flight. The Raptor is the only plane I've seen that seems to generate vortices at the end of the wingtips and vertical tails very easily though

Well, technically all planes generate wing tip vortices as a function of lift... hence induced drag and why all the airliners have winglet in order to try preventing the formation of those vortices. Also those vortices can be danger to other planes depending on the size of the plane... I think what you meant to say it that the Raptor is the only jet that regularly produces visible vortices of the wing tips...

One of the functions of a LEX is to generate that vortex to keep air flowing over the wing energized so as to delay boundary layer build-up. It's either that or stick vortex generators along the wing a la Scooter. At least the LEX contributes to lifting surface area.

P.S: I'm still saddened the community was so inimaginative that they stole the Phantom's nickname for the Bug. "Bug" is such a good name. I mean, gee, the F-18 is bugly in a French sort of way. When it's not quite fugly, it's bugly.

Edited by Slartibartfast