automotive lacquer thinner...

I have used automotive lacquer/acrylic thinner for most of my airbrush jobs (for lacquer, acrylic and enamel paints) and works well for me. I suggest you tone down the thinner with 10% retarded as they can be very strong (depending on brand). I suggest you practice first and if the results are good enough for you, go for it. Dont forget to wear a mask.

:thumbsup:

I am currently using the last gallon of DuPont 3312S Enamel Reducer that I will be able to buy (at least so I've been told) to thin my enamels. I'm also using a generic lacquer thinner to clean my brushes and airbrushes and to thin light colored enamels for brush painting (whites, blues, and yellows - seems to make those colors brighter w/o streaks). I've done some experimenting w/lacquer thinners and airbrushing enamels and when my enamel reducer runs out, will use the generic lacquer thinner to thin for airbrushing. The paints I use are MM (predominately), Humbrol, Testors (small bottles) and some old, but usable bottles of Pactra. I use a generic lacquer thinner I get at the local lumber yard. Works for me.