Wondering what thier kits are like in that scale. HL has the F-14/15/16 and am wondering what the quality is like for them, panel detail, if the F-14 is a B/D, if they come with armaments, ect. thanks.

(EDIT: I was mistaken and originally it questioned about Tamiya 1:144)

Edited by sv51macross

I have only seen tamiya in 1/100th scale not 1/144th. Not sure but if your looking for quality in 1/144 go with dragon or the newer revell-germany releases. just my 2 cents!

-dj

Ohh in that case i can help you out! I have the academy f-16-not the best but i think its the only viper in 1/144 still in production, The mig-29 is very good, the phantoms are old and the detail is almost non-existent. But for the price i guess the kits are ok but if i was you i would just stick with dragon and revel-germany.

-dj

The Academy F-14/15/16 kits are crap. C-R-A-P. I've built one of each over the years, and at least as far as the F-14 goes, there are no glove pylons, it comes with 4 fat sparrows, and very little detail. The F-16's forward section and nose are kind of coke-bottle shaped, and if I remember this right, the F-15 had no wing pylons.

jb

I recently got BIG into 1/144 and did a big order of Academy, LS, Dragon and Revell Germany, and would have to say Academy is o.k. The Academy F-4, 14, 15 are reissues of the LS kits but the panel lines are HEAVY. If you want to do some sanding they will make good models, but as said they lack Drop tanks and pylons, aside from the F-4 which includes outer drop tanks and pylons.

If you can find the LS/Arii kits of the F-4,14 and 15 they are MUCH better. IMO, the F-14 and F-15's are far better than the DML kits. Using scale plans of each aircraft show's that Dragon has added, neglected or oversized details. The LS/Arii kits use more finess on the panel lines and in detail overall, though there is NO cockpit detail. What I've done is use the pylons from DML/Dragon and weapons from Dragon or the LS/Arii weapons kits. One problem with the DML/Dragon F-15 Pylons is that is has only one AIM-9/120 missile pylon molded, not two as is usally carried.

When it comes to F-14's Revell Germany is the way to go as they are the BEST kits in 1/144! AS for the revell F-4, it looks the same as the LS/Arii kits but neglects the engraved panel lines.

As for the Academy F-16, it's O.K. as well and indeed is the only one still in production. The shape is O.K. though the nose is a bit Wierd. It's not as good as the DML/Dragon, though be warned the DML kits has shape problems as well.

Over all if you can get from Revell Germany they get it, but at $2.00, have some fun, scratchbuild the cockpit, sand it down a bit and find some pylons from Dragon. I MAY have some left over if you need.