C-130 external fuel tanks.

I was wondering if anyone had any old, used or unused external fuel tanks in 1/48 scale they would be willing to part with? I was thinking of using some as a basis for my IFR pods on the MC-130P I'm going to make. The idea of carving them from wood makes me want to cry.....

Curt

I was wondering if anyone had any old, used or unused external fuel tanks in 1/48 scale they would be willing to part with? I was thinking of using some as a basis for my IFR pods on the MC-130P I'm going to make. The idea of carving them from wood makes me want to cry.....

Curt

Outboard aux tanks?

I might have a set or can cast something. If these are the tanks in question, tanks from a F-101 Voodoo are the same. That is what I used to make the C-130A conversion masters for Cobra Company. When Chris feels better, he should produce the conversion in 1/72 and 1/48

• 3 months later...

Curt

This ought to be helpful:

Sargent Fletcher refueling pod data

Thanks! That helps alot.

Curt

No problemo. I have to do the same thing for my near identical project (MC-130E, on hold for about a year or so now). I plan on cannibalizing one tank to make the AR pod, then having my friend make resin copies of both. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Edited by Dez

I haven't started on the refueling pods yet, but I have started the scribing. I think I'm satisfied with my longer nacelle solution also. In this build I want to pose her refueling a Pave hawk. To do this I have to lower the flaps some. Now I have created a nightmare fore myself! It's all good though, because I realy feel like working on my Herkey bird now.

We all know what this is! Oh the pain....

P7270044.jpg

Here is a roughed out scanner window.

P7270045.jpg

The stupid engines!

P7270046.jpg

The flaps are removed and the flapwell is in need of some detail! For sure!

P7270048.jpg

The first flap attempt! Kinda looks like an airfoil. Most of it will be stuffed into the flapwell any way.

P7270051.jpg

Now to start the other.

P7270054.jpg

It's always fun to do the first side. Starting the other side is more a chore...lol

Thanks for looking.

Curt

Sure I do! I lost all my references in a HD crash. I have been wanting to get some new pics, but we haven't had a Herk in the hangar for some time. I planned to go off memory! I will gladly use your pics.

Thanks alot.

Post away!

Curt

Sure I do! I lost all my references in a HD crash. I have been wanting to get some new pics, but we haven't had a Herk in the hangar for some time. I planned to go off memory! I will gladly use your pics.

Thanks alot.

Post away!

Curt

prime portal MC-130E

I know it's an MC-130, but it's got great shots of the flap wells and plenty of other stuff. Just nose around.

Is that a new walk around? Awsome pics again on prime portal! Thanks for the link it will help endlessly

Curt

Naah, it's been there for a year or two at least. Glad I could help out.

LOL I never noticed it because I didn't scroll down to "M"C-130!

One note on the construction of this project.... Put in the flapwells prior to joining the wings!!!!!!!

I had no choice, because this is a rebuild, but I won't do it this way ever again.

Curt

I managed to get one done finally! Now all I have to do is make a resin copy of it and my remaining fuel tank.

After careful measuring, I chopped a section out of one of my tanks and glued the halves back together. I cut it at a very slight angle so that the tip of the pod could be positioned at a slightly higher elevation. Then I drilled a hole, inserted some styrene tubing, glued and puttied it in place, and added a very carefully crafted putty donut to the end. Then I sandwiched some sheet styrene to makey the pylon, and filed and sanded to fit. Total time invested, not counting drying time: 3 hours. Don't know why I put it off so long...

Hopefully that'll help.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Dez