OK, I've got the Hasegawa 1:48 kit on the bench, and now it's going to be joined by a Fujimi 1:72 kit I've had in the stash for a year and half (at least) and I'm tired of looking at. Now, if somebody could please explain something to me about this Fujimi kit, I would be much appreciative:

The box says "F-14D Tomcat: Operation Iraqi Freedom", and the included markings are for the VF-2 CAG bird either with or without the "Last Tomcat Cruise" lettering on the vertical stabs. I open the box and was actually pretty impressed with the detail level of the kit...nice engraved panel lines, halfway decent cockpit, OK detail on the gear struts/bays, and as a really nice bonus, two separate full F-110 engine assemblies to put on carts. Imagine my surprise when I find that there's not a NACES seat to be found in the package. Anywhere. At first, I thought "OK, they just forgot to include them, going to have to get replacements". Then I looked at the instructions and it shows the GRU-7 seats being used. What the blazes is going on here? Correct F-14D chinpod (along with every other version of chinpod that's ever been on a Tomcat)? Check. F-110 engines? Check. Correct "lumps and bumps" for F-14D? Check. NACES seats? Um...no :huh:.

Anway, due to the lack of proper seats (and the fact I've got two really nice GRU-7 resin seats already painted up), I'm going to backdate it to a Bravo model with VF-102 markings on it.

God help me...two Tomcats on the bench :nanner: :blink:!

Stay tuned for pics, folks :D!

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Fujimi never really did a "full" update on their 72nd F-14 kit. Even doing a B needs some work to modify the afterburner fairings to the correct style for the F-110 engines. The D models chin fairing is conspicuously undersized, and as mentioned they didn't provide NACES seats either. I actually ordered the Hasegawa D model specific sprues from Rainbow-10 which includes a correct sized chin pod, seats and instrument panels to go with my Fujimi F-14D's.

Always divides modellers, but I still much prefer Fujimi's Tomcat to Hasegawa's, just for the ease of building it alone, and the much better fit of the wings into the gloves, not to mention the much better fit of the slats if you pack 'em away. Pack the Hasegawa wings away and place them in the gloves swept, and behold the massive gaps, the wing is almost free floating in that hole!

Edited by Dmanton300