Peter Doll's Lightning

What an awesome job on the Trumpeter Lightning. Peter's technique for natural metal finish is superb, and I only wish I had the guts to try it. Even if I did, I could never come close to the quality of Peter's work. Truly outstanding! :whistle: :lol:

What an awesome job on the Trumpeter Lightning. Peter's technique for natural metal finish is superb, and I only wish I had the guts to try it. Even if I did, I could never come close to the quality of Peter's work. Truly outstanding! :blink: :wave:

Can only agree with you 100%! :) I did a quick search on ARC for 'Peter Doll' and uncovered a whole plethora of his natural metal aircraft on this site, very inspiring indeed.

I first started using foil back in the late 70's and had some successes, also a lot of failures. Way back then there was very little available in natural metal finish and am encouraged to learn that Peter uses the same adhesive techniques that I used to way back then (Humbrol gloss varnish in my case). More recently I have tried using aluminium kitchen foil and Microscale Micro Metal Foil adhesive on the wings of a 1/72nd C-97A and sadly the results have been a complete disaster, partly due to my lack of planning.

Have just started an old Revell 1/48th F-94C Scorpion kit which has raised panels. I used to prepare light aluminium foil from chocolate bars (Kit Kats used to be good!), buff them up with Brasso, then cut them out to fit specific panels of the aircraft and stick them on. This is the plan for the future! Quite how I do this for engraved panel lines I have not worked out yet :wacko:

Peter gives a number of very helpful pointers as to how he achieves such great results and I intend to take them on board.

Great inspiration Peter, thank you!!

Michael

Yes got to agree, wonderful build by Peter, however the undercarriage (nose and main) is just not right - sitting waaaaaay too high.

1/32 is not my scale, but seeing Peter's build, I'd be taking some height out of them if I were to build this.