Laser JDAM nose bobble thing

I've searched on defenselink, and found a few pictures of LJDAMs (any flavor) with an off white dome on the nose. I've seen a smaller number of pictures, and only GBU-38s (aside from the one GBU-31 at the AF Museum) having the black nose.

So, what's up with that? Seeker heads aren't randomly colored one way or the other. Can anyone explain why most seem whitish, but some are black?

Thanks!

I've searched on defenselink, and found a few pictures of LJDAMs (any flavor) with an off white dome on the nose. I've seen a smaller number of pictures, and only GBU-38s (aside from the one GBU-31 at the AF Museum) having the black nose.

So, what's up with that? Seeker heads aren't randomly colored one way or the other. Can anyone explain why most seem whitish, but some are black?

Thanks!

Well, firstly there are 2 colors; cream and black. I think the early ones where black, and later ones white/cream. The trouble is that from a distance, it is hard to tell a GBU-38 from a GBU-49 or -54. Externally - atleast to me - they apper the same, besides the color of the nose as you pointed out.

To clear something up;

A GBU-49 is a Dual Mode Laser Guided Bomb (DMLGB)

A GBU-54 is a Laser JADM

The two look totally different from each other. A GBU-49 looks like a GBU-12 but has a conduit running down the bottom of the bomb. A GBU-54 looks like a GBU-38 but has a conduit running down the bottom of the bomb.

As far as why there are different colors of the DSU-38, your guess is as good as mine. I gave up trying to understand some of the things the DOD does so I can sleep at night and keep my sanity.

Reddog :thumbsup:

Like Steve I have no proof but here's what I think.

The initial lot (batch) was black but found that a lighter color was better for "hotter" enviroments so the color was changed on later lots to a crem color.

Remember, black absorbes heat, light color reflect it. The DSU-33 and DSU-38 are electronic items, electronics don't do well in heat or when they get hot so trying to keep them cool is a consideration that must be taken into account.

Again, just a theory, no proof but it kind of makes sense to me.

Reddog :bandhead2:

I disagree. I really think the dude looking up at the dot in the sky a millisecond before he's vaporized would really like to know if he got hit with a new, fresh bomb or some old piece of surplus crap.

If it goes boom, then it's new and fresh.

If it goes thud, then it's an old piece of crap.

(And IWT's fault! Nick knows what I mean) :P

Reddog :thumbsup:

Dude you kill me! :lol:

Crack now all you want- in two short months you'll have an AT keeping you in line like things should be! :)

To clear something up;

A GBU-49 is a Dual Mode Laser Guided Bomb (DMLGB)

A GBU-54 is a Laser JADM

The two look totally different from each other. A GBU-49 looks like a GBU-12 but has a conduit running down the bottom of the bomb. A GBU-54 looks like a GBU-38 but has a conduit running down the bottom of the bomb.

As far as why there are different colors of the DSU-38, your guess is as good as mine. I gave up trying to understand some of the things the DOD does so I can sleep at night and keep my sanity.

Reddog :whistle:

Reddog,

You wouldn't have some photos showing what you discribed above? Would like to see, both to learn and for modelling references.

TIA

Reddog,

You wouldn't have some photos showing what you discribed above? Would like to see, both to learn and for modelling references.

TIA

No I don't. If you google gbu-49 the first two photos that pop up show the wiring conduit running down the side. For the GBU-12f/B and GBU-52/B (both DMLGB variants) the conduit is on the six oclock position. The wiring conduit is just about the same on the GBU-54 as it is on the GBU-49. It goes from the aft part of the nose sensor (GBU-38), along the bottom to the fuze door on the three oclock position on the fin.

HTH

Reddog :pray:

I know the GBU-54 is authorzied on the AV-8B and F-18A-F. The GBU-49 is not authorized on any USN/USMC aircraft, they use the GBU-12F/B which is the same thing, just made by a different manufacture. The GBU-12F/B (DMLGB) is authorized on the F-18A-D and AV-8B. Not sure about A/F platforms, don't deal with them that much.

HTH

Reddog :salute: