What type of AMTRAC? LVT-1, LVT2, LVT-A, LVTP5, LVTP6, LVTP7....

Each has a different track. However, all are pretty much unpainted steel. If its been sitting a while, the steel will rust. Once it starts moving, the steel will be dark and polished smooth from rubbing against eachother and sand, dirt, etc. The LVTP's also have a rubber track pad, but the rest of the track is steel.

I can't find any color photos of the tracks on USMC AMTRACs with the "W" shaped grousers. Can anyone tell me what color they should be? TIA!!

By “W†shaped tracks, I take you are talking about the one’s used on LVT-2’s up to the LVT-5’s.I have some color photos of them… in all the photos I’ve seen, the grousers are a light gray or aluminum color. I have seen some that have been sitting since the war, and they still are somewhat light in color. The end connectors on the other hand will be a dark rust color. I believe the end connector is made from stamped steel, and the grousers are cast.

If you can find a civilian bulldozer at a construction site, they tend to have that same coloration to the grousers. Here is a photo of an LVT that has been sitting for a long time. You can see the grouser does not rust all that mush, but the ends do.

John

mystuff263.jpg