Revell 1/72 P-47D-30 "No Guts No Glory"

Alrighty *rubs hands together* Lets wade into this argument....wait...no...Group build, with Revells neat little P-47D-30. I've had this one and have another in storage for a future project but since this group bulid came up I kept meaning to join. It'll be my first and I'm confident to say I won't let you down.

This will be predominantly OOB but may include a smidge of scratch, but this is doubtful as it's fairly complete. I'll be building it as Major Benjamin Mayo's "No Guts No Glory", Duxford, 1944. You might've seen my previous post about the camo question. Well it's going to be RAF Dark Green/Sky as it's kinda gaudy attractive. Plus it'll give me a chance to dry some more post shading. My most recent kit was Hasegawa's 1/72 P-51D which is one of my fave kits, must've build at least 5 over the years. I realised I didn't have a thud and frankly I do prefer radials.

I'd like to also state that this year, for modelling, will be productive. I've set my self "12x12". 12 models in 12 months. Okay that might not be much when building 1/72 single engined types but it's going to be a trial and a good goal to works towards. My P-51D as above was the first and...to be honest...I'm behind. I half built Academy's 1/72 F4U but I made a meal of it. How? clumsy hands :whistle: It did fly....rather literally. But it's my first "fail plane" in a very long time, we're all allowed them. I maybe should've set out a list but I like to walk where my feet take me. Models will be chosen on merit and my emphatuation at the time.

Pics below show what I've done so far. Painted the cockpit & parts, wheel well & tail wheel and rescribed the cowling. The green in the cockpit is my own interpretation of the blue/green cockpit colour used in later P-47's. I think it looks about right if not a little dark but I like it and can do some dry brushing. All paints used, apart from brushed, are Gunze Sanyo Mr Color Lacquers. These of which I swear by and have used for about 2-3 years now. Brushed painted parts are enamel. Testors dull coat is decanted and used appropriately where needed.

Picture001.jpg

ss72886a.jpg

Enjoy and please, be gentle :pray: No I joke, any thoughts, suggestions and criticism welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright time for an update. I've done plenty up to today but it was a bit of a trial. I filled the lower wing join to get it smooth and rescribed the panel lines but it took a few tries, about 4 actually. Sounds alot since the Revell P-47 goes together so well but I can be pedantic. Anyway I got it sorted and with paint on it, apart from the odd jagged line, you can't tell what was done and the scratches just dissapeared.

I've constructed main parts and the kit is together with a little scratch building in the supercharger exhaust to cover up the void. Using thin scrap plastic (old folder cover) I lined it first then a 2nd layer to make it flush with the fuselage. Lastly two small strips on top to give it a bit of detail. I haTE seeing seams in places like this and landing gear bays so do my best to cover them where possible.

Cockpit, coaming and wheel wells were soon plugged with tissue and tidied up with Humbrol Maskol. Filled the slot for the fuselage hard point and drilled/inserted new shackles from plastic rod. This is to attach the flat style drop tank to. Painting commenced with white undercoat using Gunze White Mr Surfacer 1000 grade but still painted white to ensure full colour. This was masked accordingly for tail and D-Day stripes on the fuselage, real happy with the D-Day stripes as this is my first attempt, working well so far and happy to try them in future too.

I started the main paint job with a pre shading using medium grey not black (see pic). I had tried black before but was way to stark (used on 1/72 Ki-43) so the grey was much better. Once done I filled in the panels with Gunze Sangyo "Sky" and finished as applicable, the original coat was darked with Nakajima cockpit colour which is similar but a bit darker, the normal "Sky" was then used. The pre shading gives a great look and will be better lifted with a acrylic panel wash. Finishing up the "Sky" (it was late by now) I did a few top panels to see how it worked and was very satisfied with the results. Having white to spray the RAF Dark Green onto made filling the panels easier.

As you can see from the pictures it's looking good and can't wait to finish and weather it :salute: Have included pictures of my work stating (in my room), this is where I potter at night on a model after work, my spraying is done in my small laundry. Also my cabinet used to store these little works of art. So much for this novel, waiting for the next chapter.

Picture004.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture007-1.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Edited by tempestwulf

Thanks Rocat. Post note to the above post is my lack of sleep last night, I really wanted to do the Dark Green but knew I had to get to sleep. I should've just got up and finished it off, probably spent the same amount of time awake. Yes, yes, I'm a sad sack but when it's nearing the end the eagerness rises like mercury. :cheers:

Evening from Gods own again

An update to my thunderbolt with lots done. Painting is finished and major decals have been completed with no real problems arising. The cowling decals wen't down without to much fuss and only a bit of trimming was required. Thin strips of decals and Tamiya gloss black used to touch up the edges where they didn't meet the white. I'm very much pleased with the cowling decals the most, gives me great hope with the next set 72-878 also from Superscale. It has "Rat-a-Dat" from 350 FS/353 FG. A yellow cowling with black diamonds. Very attractive.

Picture001-1.jpg

Fuselage insignia took the most work to fit right but came out otherwise well. They're square to the outlet so not to hard apart from fitting the inside part of the outlet. Superscale decals bedding down and reacting to Tamiya mark fit beautifully. No fit issues or silvering. Super thin carrier film which dissapears once down.

Model was painted with Gunze Sanyo paints and glossed up with Gunze super clear lacquers. I'm tossing up doing stencils but likely to wing it as they are barely visable on the RAF Dark Green finish. I added the data block but that can barely even be seen. A good panel wash should break it up enough.

003.jpg

Enjoy the pictures. Tomorrow I'll seal the decals in with another gloss and prep the small parts like landing gear, pylons, canopy and weapons. Not far now. BTW the date on the camer is wrong, I haven't updated it.

Edited by tempestwulf

I'm back with the latest update. Nothing to much more then the last post. The painting and decalling has been completed with a panel wash just finished off tonight, I'm only getting about 2-3 hours/night to twittle away with this model. I have to admit that it's coming out really nice considering I rushed the beginning. I was planning to do one month a model but this was a mistake as my usual quality control was slipping badly so I reverted to my normal pace.

The pictures show some of the suble shading done but will be much better after a dull coat. The cockpit color is Gunze Mr Colour 302 "Green", pretty good match for the dark green cockpit. Dry brushing with Humbrol # 88. The gear bays Zinc Chromate with acrylic wash and dry brushing with some dull silver.

Little bits left to do are landing gear, wheels, doors, canopy, weapons and engine. These should be quick really so final post will be of the finished piece.

Thud1.jpg

Thud2.jpg

Thud3.jpg

Thud4.jpg

Edited by tempestwulf
  • 2 weeks later...

All Done!!!

Yes it's finished and in the cabinet. Once finished my impression of it rose from 85-98% acceptance of the finished product as a few little items could've been improved on as listed below:

- Tank attachment points broke off and needed replacing, holes for there weren't tidy.

- Pitot tube broken off and not replaced. This will probably be replicated one day in future when I'm doing remedial jobs for others too.

- Gun barrels would have been better replaced with hollowed out plastic tube.

- Paint finish was a bit rough in regards to texture, to much gloss pigment when painting and didn't go down smoothly. This in contrast to my Trumpeter 1/72 P-40 which was smooth.

But otherwise these are things that aren't readily recognisable and I'm please with the finished product as a whole. It was my first attempt with D-Day stripes and they came out beautifully, same with the ID stripes on the tail. I try to paint stripes where possible now as more convincing. I won't be building the Revell P-47 anymore though as Tamiya's molding far surpasses it in quality and detail. Just look at the cockpit ;)

Below is the finished product and hope you all like it. I think I got the cockpit colour pretty bang on and I did earn alot of EXP points (gaming slang = experience) in this build with regard to painting the stripes and theatre markings. Next big challenge is perfecting paint chipping. I didn't do any on this one as felt it didn't need any but will have to take the plunge on future projects, even if it's minimal.

My next project will be Academy's 1/72 P-40N with markings for the 49th Fighter Group. A silver bird (I know...a silver P-40 is rare) with faded and chipped anti glare panel, white & blue spinner. Might add this one in the critique corner if I feel party to it.

Regard - Bradley

Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Edited by tempestwulf