BoB RAF Pilot Uniform

Hello all,

I just want some pictures to help confirm how my Hurricane Pilot figure would look complete with the parachute, what he would look like if taking off during the BoB. I've got A LOT of pictures of their uniforms complete with mae west while on the ground, but poor quality pictures of the chute itself. Can't tell if the straps where kahki or indeed white.

As well, what does the seat harness look like when the pilot is buckled in? I've seen a lot of early RAF seatbelts undone, but what are they like when they're done up?

Cheers,

Mark.

That's an authentic Irving Mk. I parachute pack from my collection. The color is a brownish linen and is very well rendered in the picture. Color may have darkened a bit over the yearw and may originally have been a tad lighter. HTH.

ParachutePack001.jpg

Lothar

The Hurricane used the same harness as the Spitfire. Here is a diagram of the Sutton harnes as fitted to the Spitfire which shows all the parts.

SpitfireMtype.jpg

And here is one fitted to the Hurricane dragged out of a swamp (with its pilot) by the Russians recently.

Russianhurri.jpg

RAF pilots,during the Battle of Britain,wore a bewildering array of flying gear. About the only thing you can be sure of is that the guys wearing white flight suits in any picture were pre-war regulars.

Here's 242 Sqn. infront of Bader's Hurricane.

242sqn.jpg

A more uniform line up of 601 Sqn.

601sqn.jpg

And a stressed looking pilot showing his parachute harness to good advantage.

bobchuteharness.jpg

Steve

Cheers

Note, from those photos, that British parachutes, during the war, tended to have white straps, probably to avoid any mixups with the Sutton straps, which were a light-to-medium tan. A prized possession, for pilots who could afford it, was a silk scarf, since it prevented chafing, caused by shirt/uniform collars, from continuously turning the head to look behind.

Edgar

Note, from those photos, that British parachutes, during the war, tended to have white straps, probably to avoid any mixups with the Sutton straps, which were a light-to-medium tan.

Edgar

You know I'd never noticed that! Surprising how easy it is to miss the obvious. As far as scarves go I reckon at least four of the men standing around Bader are sporting one. None are as snazzy as this one worn by Plt.Off. PWO"Boy" Mould. Not hard to see how he got his nick name.

boymould.jpg

Same here in a propaganda photo of three BOB aces,Flg.Off. GE Ball (6 kills), Sqn.Ldr.DRS Bader (20 kills) and Plt.Off.WL McKnight (17 kills)

242.jpg

Steve

Edited by Stona

Steve,

I think that there are two Royal Navy Officers in your picture of 242 Sqn. Sub Lieutenants R (Dickie) J Cork and R (Jimmie) E Gardner both served with 242 in the BOB. I am actually not sure which they are but have seen a reference to them being in the photo. What it does prove is that you can't distinguish them by their flying kit...

Phil