The radio room was a bit of a pain, as the floor itself was a bit slanted. However, with a quick application of a small piece of evergreen (2 x 2 mm and about a cm long), managed to get a good support bracket done and the floor now sits level. There were a couple of other items that were added and removed. Just as Karl mentioned, the dynamotor for the command radio transmitters was removed from above the desk. There was also a lamp that was added, as well as all the applicable wiring on the desk. Further to this, a few items were added underneath the desk. All these items were found within the reference books, and as best as possible, I ran within a believable production block of where LMM came into play, hopefully eliminating the chance of having something in there that wouldn't have been installed. Last but not least, the door was built and installed.
The two fuel transfer selectors located in the flight deck, against the bulkhead just below the door were also installed, as well as the replacement for the missing throttle control that broke off from the throttle quadrant. So, that's all done there, and last but not least, a couple of lamps were installed near the instrument panel.
As for the bomb bay, and the walk way/bomb rack, the paragon set is a good one... if you don't add the roof to the bomb bay. The set, just like the stock pieces from the kit, are designed to reach up into the ceiling of the turtle deck. That, and given the building that went on in the bomb bay, the Paragon walk way didn't line up correctly, so using the appropriate evergreen rods, the catwalk was scratch built first, with the appropriate electric motor at the forward end built as well. Then the bomb racks that straddle the catwalk were done the same way as the previous one was mounted to the starboard side of the fuselage. All that is left to do is to paint them all, give them some wear and tear, and then once dry, glue that sucker in. My only question though, is those ropes you see between the bulkheads and bomb racks for walking across the catwalk, were they there? And if so, did the styles vary as much as is seen on the bombers around today?
From here, it's a matter of working the port side fuselage side. First thing to do is to complete the framing in both the bomb bay and the radio room, then build up the turtle deck in the radio room to match the starboard side. I'm still not sure if I'm going to put a .50 on the mount in there, or just have it removed completely. I've still had a hard time confirming whether it was there, or not... frustrating at times. None the less, once we've got that section built up, it's painting the whole side with the applicable colours to match the starboard side. Once done, then the fuselage side details will be added (I.e., oxygen bottles in the flight deck, navigators station (table, lamp, various items in there as well), all the applicable windows, pilots seat and control column, and all the wiring throughout, including the other details in the bomb bay).
Once it's all set and I'm happy, there's going to be a lot of patience in the dry fitting portion of what's left:
-Forward floor in the nose for the bombardier
-Upper vac-formed flight deck roof/windscreen
The forward floor wont be too difficult to do, and once it's finished, this will be glued into the starboard side to match up with the floor already there, making sure that it's all lined up and appropriately level. As for the vac-formed flight deck roof & windscreen, both pilot & co-pilot sliding windows will be opened, the electrical items up top between the two upper windows will be added, and the fit will have to be just nice along the fuselage. All the wiring inside there running down the frames will also be added. Once that's all good to go, then the two halves get glued together (carefully I should add). Once dry, I hope to be able to mount in the upper portion nice and snug. Not much left to do here except build up the upper-turret, and chin turret. With that, the fuselage would be completed, and then it's onto port & starboard wings.
The biggest thing on these is going to be the wheel wells, scratch building all the appropriate detials in there, and then mounting them to the wings. It's going to take come careful mounting of the wings to make sure that they'll be mounted good and strong. Then it's the bare metal foil, painting, mounting the engines, and taking 'er from there. Mounting the main landing gear in without weight on wheels (so, converting the 1/48 B-17F MLG wheels, the verlinden main landing gear struts, the 1/48 B-17G rims, and matching them all up), setting up a jig for the proper angle of the forward portion, building the jack stands underneath, and once that's done, the bomb bay doors will be installed, along with the other finer details (mounting in the chin turret, upper turret, and all the mechanics details around 'er).
And that right there would be about 80% of the work required for this model. All that's left is the shell of the waist section, finishing the tail gunners compartment, vertical & horizontal stabs, rudder & elevator, ball turret (that's going to be FUN!), and all the other small little bitty parts.
Took 13 different B-17's to rebuild LMM... at this rate, it's almost 13 different AM Sets, Models (with parts from both F & G kits), and a heck of a lot of scratch building. Almost right on track...
Thanks for reading!
Hoping for pictures very soon.