RLM 76 Mix

I don't know if the quality of the pix might be that helpful but...I started painting my Academy FW-190A8 starting with the RLM 74...I mixed (since it was what was on my stash of paints and I wanted to try them out before I buy any---my local hobby store only sells Tamiya Paints) Tamiya Metallic Blue,Light Sea Grey and Flat White and I was wondering through these pix...did I get or at least on some way or the other almost got the RLM 74 correctly? I also have some spare Dark Grey,German Grey,Sea Blue if those paints might also be useful...

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

Edited by kuya

I' sorry...RLM 76...let me see if I can find a better cam to get a pic of it...I do agree on 1 thing though...it's a bit light...actually this is my 1st time trying to scale down the color of the paint since I heard when you do 1/72's you tone the colors with a bit of white....just starting the hobby and still learning

I' sorry...RLM 76...let me see if I can find a better cam to get a pic of it...I do agree on 1 thing though...it's a bit light...actually this is my 1st time trying to scale down the color of the paint since I heard when you do 1/72's you tone the colors with a bit of white....just starting the hobby and still learning

I've got three thumbs when I type too. You are quite correct to lighten the colour on a model. If you slaveishly match a colour chip or sample of the original colour it will appear too dark on your model. It's a judgement call you'll have to make and you are not a million miles away in your photos. That's just my opinion though LOL.

Nicely built by the way!

Cheers

Steve

I think I may have overdone the white...actually ThatJeffGuy before I added a bit more white it almost looked like the reference pic u posted...I may have to spray over some more paint that's bluer than that what I've done...I haven't tried trying to make different shades before on a plane...I'm planning to maybe mist another coat however make it subtle to make it look like some of the surface are weathered or at least the paint has eroded...would that sound okay?

• 1 month later...

actually found out that my own mix of tamiya's flat white and sea blue was almost the same when I bought Gunze's Mr Color RLM 76 but my question is...since I've already painted the undersides with the mix...can I spray Mr. Color RLM 74 and 75 over it...I understand it is lacquer based and the tamiya I used is acrylic...would it work and not eat the acrylic below? or should I just strip the paint?

actually found out that my own mix of tamiya's flat white and sea blue was almost the same when I bought Gunze's Mr Color RLM 76 but my question is...since I've already painted the undersides with the mix...can I spray Mr. Color RLM 74 and 75 over it...I understand it is lacquer based and the tamiya I used is acrylic...would it work and not eat the acrylic below? or should I just strip the paint?

Just remember Princess LEA :cheers:

Lacquer first

Enamel next

Acrylic last

So you _may_ have a problem....the above is a general rule but you can play a little fast'n loose with it if you let the

paint cure to it's maximum point....i.e. the 'smell' test....smell your plane and if you can still smell the paint it is not

fully cured.