Hi Guys

I have a question and a theory to put to you all, and yes this is just my theory but it is based on some facts and one photo.

Anyway the question is this, does anyone know where I can find a Finemolds Ki-61 II bubble canopy in 1/72 as it would almost complete my WW2 collection. Also missing in kit form from the collection are;

Yokosuka H5Y1 Type 99 ("Cherry")

Nakajima B4Y1 Type 96 ("Jean")

Yokosuka R2Y Keiun

Rikugun Ki.93

Nakajima G5N Shinzan ("Liz")

Nakajima J5N1 Tenrai

Kawasaki Ki.64 ("Rob")

Mitsubishi Ki.83

I know there are some kits out there in 1/72 of some of these aircraft including a vac kit of the G5N and any help or kits would be gratatful.

Anyway now for the theory, we all know the Japanese converted the Ki-61 II to the Ki-100 using engineless airframes and I believe that not only the razorback Ki-61 Type II was converted thus. The Ki-100 bubbletop came out not long after the razorback version and I think it also was converted from airframes already in existence.

I have one photo of the Ki-61 II bubbletop and though, due to the angle of the photo, it does not show unit markings the aircraft next to it does. The photo was taken I think post war but I am almost certain that the Japanese did use at least one unit of this fighter operationally your thoughts?

Thanks for that I can get both these kits on ebay it's the more obscure ones i'm looking for like the Liz and ki-61 bubble. Does anyone know of a conversion for this mark?

MPM produced a Ki-64 in 1/72, and I think Special Hobby (maybe Octopus?) put out a 1/72 Ki-83.

HTH,

D

I don't think the Ki-61 had the bubble, even late war.

Even the Ki-61-II had the normal high-backed spine, and these engine-less airframes made the basis for the first generation of Ki-100s. The first Ki-100s all had high backed spines, therefore it's safe to say all the Ki-61s up til the end shared that feature.

The later Ki-100s had redesigned bubble canopies, but as far as I've heard the Ki-61s did not.

Mind you it's possible you're right and I'm not an expert, but a few months back I did some research on Ki-61 numbers and production and whatnot and it's still somewhat fresh in my mind.