A27M Cromwell Mk. IV Cruiser tank (Tamiya 1:35)

The main parts dry fitted for the photo.

a27_13.jpg

The non-regulation field modification Jerrycan rack for three Jerrycans.

a27_14.jpg

A rack for British POW cans (Petrol Oil Water), resin from Accurate Armour.

a27_15.jpg

Tools in place.

a27_16.jpg

The hatches in place on the turret, note the simple lock solution for the commanders hatch, the padlock is missin' as the tank is under way n' not parked.

a27_17.jpg

The tow cables, note the odd solution with two cables together like this.

a27_18.jpg

Closeup. The copper wire comes from Eureka XXL.

a27_19.jpg

I would have been done n' all if I'd just built it OOtB but since I decided to add PE to the kit as a touch up the progress have slowed down to just a tad faster than a full stop. I don't use all the PE as I find that there's little need in replacin' some of the parts on the kit considerin' that the mould is fairly good, even for a Tamiya kit.

a27_01.jpg

The pickaxe less the handle in place, the wingnut isn't quite visible on the pickaxe head.

a27_02.jpg

Don't ask me what this is 'cos I don't know...

a27_03.jpg

a27_04.jpg

a27_05.jpg

Hooks along the storage boxes on the right side for the towin' cables.

a27_06.jpg

Drilled out Besa MG in the front glacis.

a27_07.jpg

Some stuff at the rear...

a27_08.jpg

Drilled out Coaxial Besa MG.

a27_09.jpg

Searchlight on the turret...

a27_10.jpg

Rear view of the searchlight...

a27_11.jpg

Engine air intakes on the left side...

a27_12.jpg

Air intakes on the right side...

a27_pe_1.jpg

What's left on the larger PE fret.

a27_pe_2.jpg

n' what's left of the smaller PE fret

As you can see I've only used a small amount of the available PE in the Eduard update set. Much of it is unneccesary in my mind n' some of it won't be used as I don't feel for it n' some of it is really for a Mk.7 post war A27. But I'm not done just yet with the PE so I'm gonna use a little bit more of it.

There you see, a small update on my slow progress so far. It certainly takes a lot of time to work with the small PE parts but it's quite fun (sometimes not at all when a part takes of from my desk).

Here's the green camouflage colour airbrushed on with Tamiya XF-61 in thin n' irregular coverin' thus givin' a mono paintwork some form of life. I've also sprayed on a clearcoat in preparation for the decals.

green1.jpg

green3.jpg

green4.jpg

green5.jpg

green2.jpg

green6.jpg

green7.jpg

Then it was time to give the tracks some lovin'. First I primed 'em with GWS Chaos Black n' gave 'em a mild overspray with Tamiya X-10. Then it was time for the pigments that I put on with a dry stiff brush with a base of rust pigments with light n' dark rust pigments on top of that in order to break it up. Then I applyed a fair amount of Mig's Thinner for washes with a flat brush. I did put on more pigments while it was wet 'til I was happy n' then I wiped my finger over the tracks in order to remove pigments from the portrudin' areas. When it was dry n' I was sure on that I was satisfied with the result I did put a new wet coat on the tracks with Mig's Pigment Fixer n' let it cure over the night. The day after it was time for some action with my graphite pencil. I swiped it over the tracks on the surfaces that get regular contact with the ground n' the drive sprockets plus the roadwheels on the inside as rust don't build up in those areas.

Here's the pictures of the whole procedure.

rustpigments.jpg

tracks1.jpg

tracks2.jpg

tracks3.jpg

tracks4.jpg

tracks5.jpg

tracks6.jpg

Here's the roadwheels n' drive sprockets.

roadwheelsdone.jpg

drivesprocketsdone.jpg

The decals in place, sprayed over two buggered decals that I wasn't happy with n' mounted the roadwheels n' tracks plus added the fenders. What's left now to do is touch up the tools with paint n' other things. It will be a first time for me to paint tools n' other equipments allready in place.

a27decals1.jpg

a27decals2.jpg

a27decals3.jpg

a27decals4.jpg

The vision prisms.

a27_front.jpg

n' the rear vision port in the commander hatch.

a27_rearvisionglass.jpg

The Machine guns.

a27_front2.jpg

The exhaust stains

a27_exhauststain.jpg

a27_exhauststain2.jpg

a27_exhauststain3.jpg

The taillights

a27_taillight.jpg

a27_taillight2.jpg

The Tools n' POW cans

a27_tools.jpg

The Track tension tool

a27_track_tension_tool.jpg

This build is currently dormant but will be done fairly quickly when I finaly pick it up again so it's still a work in progress even if its been dormant for a year n' half now.

Thanks mate! I've never postshaded anything yet as I'm afraid to ruin my work with my not so steady hand. This tincan will need some chippin' n' I'll probably try my hand at a dot filter with oils. But the first thing to do when I come 'round to start with that is to fix the track as the left track has broken. I don't like this buggerin' rubberbands, they tend to age a bit too quick as this is not my first Tamiya rubberband that has upped n' died on me...