F-RSIN 1/144 Injected Comet 1/1A

Recently discovered that F-RSIN makes an injected kit of the original DeHavilland Comet 1/1A in 1/144.

F-RSIN website/photo of kit

Was wondering who is the distributor for F-RSIN in the US as I can only find it on eBay for mega-bucks. 27GBP, about $44+shipping. No thanks. But the kit looks decent but no windows, only decals which is fine. Would add nicely to my early jet airliner collection.

Thanks for any clues that might help locate a seller in the US.

Fang

Update: Airline Hobby Supply has them. AHS listing $42 US plus shipping. I took the plunge, having a slight surplus of cash this month. When it gets here, I will post decent photos of the kit, OK?

Cheers all!

Fang.

Edited by VADM Fangschleister
Recently discovered that F-RSIN makes an injected kit of the original DeHavilland Comet 1/1A in 1/144.

F-RSIN website/photo of kit

Was wondering who is the distributor for F-RSIN in the US as I can only find it on eBay for mega-bucks. 27GBP, about $44+shipping. No thanks. But the kit looks decent but no windows, only decals which is fine. Would add nicely to my early jet airliner collection.

Thanks for any clues that might help locate a seller in the US.

Fang

Update: Airline Hobby Supply has them. AHS listing $42 US plus shipping. I took the plunge, having a slight surplus of cash this month. When it gets here, I will post decent photos of the kit, OK?

Cheers all!

Fang.

Try Airline Hobby Supplies in Arizona in "new kit arrivals":

http://www.airline-hobby.com/shop/

All the best

Ray

Thanks, Ray, but I founded it all on my own...

Ordered one, it's in the mail from Chandler, AZ and should be here soon. Will post piccies when it arrives.

I'm thinkin' I might do the all-aluminium prototype, in-flight (ie: "plane-on-a-stick) but the decals look so good that I may have to make it B*O*A*C.

For those who like Big 'uns Comet 4C RC jet

comet-4c-landing.jpg

Edited by VADM Fangschleister

Don't expect Hasegawa quality. These are typical limited-run, low-pressure molded kits. My Falcon had short shots, warped parts, thin spots, and very little detail. It will build up into a neat little kit, but it's going to take more work than a typical mainstream kit or a well-done resin one.

Ben

My "hopes" are not very high. But barring a vac-kit or scratchbuilding one myself, this is a good thing. At least there's something that represents the aircraft and my only real concern is proportions and dimensions.

The photos at the F-RSIN site aren't that great so that's why I'm planning on posting better photos of the kit when it gets here.

Should still make a nice display. Probably a candidate as a tail-sitter as well.

I can't say that the kit is extremely well-made. However it appears accurate in most respects, given the dimensions and such. You can see the obvious rough molding and uneven-ness of the straight edges. I fully intend to take some very fine emery paper and wetsand all surfaces entirely, then probably polish them as well before assembly...and during...and after. The instructions appear pretty straightforward and one thing I didn't include is the page of history that comes with the model.

The real strongpoint appears to be the decals. There are reg numbers for every BOAC Comet 1/1A there ever was, I believe. Owing to the lack of clear parts, the decals provide nicely done cockpit and passenger windows in a dark gray. They appear very thin and look like they would go down very well.

Lots of flash and therefore, lots of cleanup. However, I think it would look very nice in a gaggle of other 1/144 scale airliners. I'm still undecided about whether to make it the bare aluminum prototype or finish it as a BOAC bird.

Was it worth the money? No. Not unless you absolutely MUST have a 1/144 Comet 1 in your stash.