tu-160 as an anti-ship platform to replace tu-22m3

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the Tu-160 blackjack can be used as an anti-ship platform, given it's speed, range and payload? With the retirement of the Tu-22m3, it makes logical sense to have the Tu-160 to replace the role of the Backfire.

Regards,

Jeffrey

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the Tu-160 blackjack can be used as an anti-ship platform, given it's speed, range and payload? With the retirement of the Tu-22m3, it makes logical sense to have the Tu-160 to replace the role of the Backfire.

Regards,

Jeffrey

i don't know if they can be used as you asked/stated, but it's sure Russia don't have as many tu-160 (stated 16 in service) as they have tu-22m3 (58 in russian naval aviation+93 in RUaf (wiki))...

also, i would be incline to think that tu-160 is way more expensive to operate than tu-22m3... or at least, just more expensive in any way...

BTW i think that this topis should have been in the General Discussion Forum, instead of the Research corner...

Edited by mingwin