Bout to start work on my next build. I got these from someone on ARC not too long ago. 2 kits in 1 box but 1 of them is missing a few pieces. Should be all there to do what I want though which is to build them in flight and in formation.

Kits will be oob except for some prop blurs which I'll be ordering and the decals.

DSCN2637.jpg

I also have the Academy/Minicraft F4U-4B kit which is essentially the same kit plus a small added sprue of different things. Will probably build it at the same time but it will be stationary.

Kris

Edited by Bigasshammm

I plan on building the 2 famous VF-32 ships of Hudner and Brown. I will probably have them flying in formation together but my brain keeps throwing out the idea of having Brown's aircraft crashed on the ground and Hudner's flying very low over it about to crash land himself. The problem therein lies that I have never built a crashed dio before and don't know the first thing about doing it. Or for that matter doing a dio in general. The terrain seems fairly simple. Looks like it was relatively flat (although I believe they crashed into a hillside but I'll keep it flat) and covered in snow with long weeds sticking through the snow. I'll check out over in the dio section too and see just what I may need to have.

Any tips or links would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Bigasshammm
  • 2 weeks later...

Minor progress...

While I'm in the process of finishing up my 3 B-17s for that GB I'm slowly working on the 3 Corsairs I'll be building.

Painted the interior green on all 3 Corsairs. When I got these one of the kits wings were glued together and the seat glued into the cockpit. I have since cut out the flaps of the first set of wings and glued the second set together and will remove it's flaps tonight. I went to get some Miliput or some form of sculpting putty but the LHS was out so I will have to wait to finish the flaps. I'm only going to take relevant pictures of one of the kits until I get them to a stage they can all be in the picture without taking up a ton of space. I am replicating each stage in triplicate though. Albeit the 3rd Corsair will be a little different because it will just be built parked.

Also spent a half hour talking to the train guy at the LHS about building the diorama base. Showed me all the material I'll need. Soon as I get some foam and whip up the basic structure I'll get that started.

DSCN2673.jpg

Flaps removed.

DSCN2674.jpg

K

Hudner installed into the fuselage.

DSCN2687.jpg

DSCN2684.jpg

DSCN2681.jpg

I have since closed up the fuselage and started working on painting Brown and getting his fuse to be closed. I've cutout the flaps from both sets of aircraft. Waiting to get some epoxy putty so I can mold the shape of the flaps better. These are really easy kits and the fit is quite good. They may have accuracy issues for F4U-4s but I'm not an accuracy guy. The price was super and they look the part to me!

I won't be able to buy the required stuff to do the base till next weekend so these will be somewhat on hold. Mostly sanding and filling etc.

K

It will be a while. I have to order prop blurs still and am still looking for decals. I have one source to buy them but after shipping they'll be 31$ which is more than I paid for all 3 of these kits.

Plus I have to buy all the stuff to make the dio base another 30-40$ The kits themselves will go together in a few days.

bought all the material for the diorama sans some foam to do the structure out of. Once I get some foam board I'm going to build a small one to try everything out then proceed. I didn't buy the decals this weekend as planned as the diorama stuff cost me nearly 60$ so I'll have to wait another 2 weeks.

• 3 weeks later...

Back to work on these. I got some Apoxie Sculpt putty at the LHS. I've never used anything like this so we'll see how well it goes.

Also finally got all the parts together for the dio base (you can see the giant sheets of foam in the background of first pic) so I'll start work on it this weekend maybe. I'll probably mock up a small one to see how well it goes.

Hudner's plane is virtually ready for paint aside from the flap work that still needs done. All the major parts are joined and sanded. No problems with the fit.

I ordered the Cutting Edge decal sheet today for a pretty penny. I almost ordered the Prop Blurs as well but held off as that can be one of the last things so I have at least a couple weeks for that.

DSCN2817.jpg

DSCN2818.jpg

DSCN2819.jpg

DSCN2820.jpg

Here's the flaps with the Apoxie Sculpt added. I'll let them dry a full day before sanding. I really don't have an exact size I'm basically just going to sand to shape then keep holding them to the plane and see what looks right. Probably will be a major pita.

DSCN2821.jpg

Edited by Bigasshammm

Got the flaps all sanded up. The Apoxie Sculpt worked pretty good I must say. Got the shape I wanted and from just holding them up to the plane they should pass the bill. Had to fill a couple holes on the fuselage where I cut the flaps out and then I'll be able to attach the flaps. Being as the whole thing is a solid color I'll paint the flaps attached to the a/c. Plus they're so small and there's not really a place to hold them to paint them separate. I'd have to drill tiny holes to attach them to toothpicks or whatever and forget that.

Should have one a/c basically done this evening buildwise.

Might start working on the dio as well. Wife is leaving me home alone with the kids tonight though so we'll see how they behave.

DSCN2822.jpg

DSCN2825.jpg

Edited by Bigasshammm

Alright so I got my Cutting Edge decals today in the mail. I'm a bit concerned. They stated it has the markings for both VF-32 aircraft but not the national insignia and stencils. No big deal there I can come up with something from the spares. Anyway my concern is that the decal sheet only shows the port side profile. The decals themselves only come with two of the NAVY/VF 32 stencils that go behind the port stars n bars. Wouldn't this also be on the starbard side? If so I need two more NAVY/VF 32 decals and Idk where I'm going to come up with them. I can probably source some NAVY decals but the VF 32 will be difficult.

ced48268previewbg_1.jpg

I've also seen and read where the VF 32 was painted over at some point during the Korean war. If so would that have happened before the famous incident? That would be a lot easier then I'd just need to find another set of NAVY decals and be set.

#205 without the VF 32 under the NAVY stencil.

Help a guy out.

Naturally I've got about ten sheets of Corsair decals and none of them have any NAVY decals. They all are either Marines or just no insignia. So if anyone has a spare 2 NAVY decals in 1/48 side fuselage size (I can take an actual measurement of the decals if needed) then please let me know.

K

• 1 month later...