1:72 Vostok Launch Vehicle

I just discovered that Squadron has the kit listed. Not a cheap price, but it's about what I expected. I'm curious about its accuracy, but if it's anything like the Sputnik kit, I'm looking forward to it.

You're looking forward to it or are you NOT looking forward to it? I have kind of mixed feelings myself as the Luna and Sputnik kits are a little below half price at Squadron and one could probably stick a resin Vostok up top on the Luna (which has the third stage) and scratch a launch shroud for it for a little more.

I've seen the SS-6 and while the parts looked accurate, it had one booster that was short shot and the parts all had weirdo surface features on them that made it look like they came from a cheese mold. If I order a Vostok, it had better be of better kit quality as it looked like about the only way to do the SS-6 from the kit I saw was to use the best parts to make one complete booster with no surface imperfections and resin cast it four times.

I got the Luna kit and am now modifying it into the Soyuz TMA rocket. The model is pretty accurate. Though when looking at the one page of plans, all that had was a basic detail of how the model is built. I'm left with extra pieces with no idea where to put them as I have nothing else to guide me. I did find use for these spares by using them in the extra parts for the Soyuz. The bottom of the four strap on boosters, where on the Soyuz has that bottom portion painted orange, has extra stuff on it the model doesn't. These are the supports and fuel lines for the rocket. This photo shows the extra stuff I mention. http://internetelite.ru/cosmopark/r7/511_99b.jpg The three things sticking out around the fin. The model doesn't have this.

This Vostok drawing should help. http://ninfinger.org/models/vault2005/vostok-r-specs.jpg

This site has plenty of reference. http://cosmopark.ru/r7/r7.htm

I am looking forward to it, provided the kit I get is as decent as my Sputnik kit. It's pretty rough to be sure, but it doesn't appear impossible to build. Some of the conduits need to be replaced since they're misshapen due to mold limitations. At least it appears to be accurate, dimension-wise.

From the Luna kit is the best baseline to build Vostok or any of the other manned R-7 rockets. The Sputnik kit as a guide, I'm not sure as it probably won't have a cap for the first stage. Well for the Sputnik kit or original R 7 the kit would have the nose cone be the cap for the core stage.

Here is my model. http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/286/c/1/soyuz_and_atlantis_model_by_onigojirakaiju-d30ozc5.jpg

I may suggest resin molding the engines from the boosters or core stage for the upper stage.

I would use the Vostok kit for the basis of any future crewed R-7 models, provided Mach 2 doesn't expand their kit line to include Voskhod and Soyuz. I'm aware that the Sputnik kit doesn't include the dome for the first stage -- I have the kit.

I only have the Luna kit. I don't know about the rest.

Say will you be building a launch pad for your model?

The one change to the paint would be the areas it says to paint silver. Is there a paint that has that polished metal look? In the real photos those areas are highly polished metal with a mirror reflectiveness.

Say will you be building a launch pad for your model?

Nope. Nothing beyond a base with perhaps a 1:72 Sputnik 1 satellite and a plaque.

The one change to the paint would be the areas it says to paint silver. Is there a paint that has that polished metal look?

Something besides Alclad or SNJ, you mean?

I see. Well there is a thread in case you change your mind on making a launch complex. :)

I never heard of Akclad or SNJ.

Here is a site with some other reference material. "Soyuz" Sputnik Service Tower

Edited by MarkD

I see. Well there is a thread in case you change your mind on making a launch complex.

I may build a partial diorama for a Voskhod or Soyuz build, but I have something specific in mind for Sputnik 1 and Vostok 1.

I never heard of Akclad or SNJ.

Alclad

SNJ