Serious hobby shops in Seattle (aviation, 1/72)

Although the main aviation-related sight in Seattle is of course the Museum of Flight (which I’ll hopefully be able to visit), I’d like to drop by some hobby shop(s) as well.

However, as I’ll be somewhat limited in terms of time, it/they should be well accessible from the downtown (without a car) and have a good choice of products – not only kits, but also decals, detail sets etc – at good prices. My area of interest is WWII aviation 1/72.

Any tips are much appreciated.

TIA

Hey there,

Without a car you are pretty much screwed. Not much in the downtown area. About 15 minutes drive to the southeast will get you to one of the greatest hobby shops in the entire world (OK OK...I am a little biased).....Skyway Models. An absolute treasure trove of stuff, kits, AM, decals.....whatever your poison they got it. They also have awesome prices. The shop does a lot of collection buying as well, so it isn't uncommon to stroll in and find some long lost treasure and since some of it comes from collections, they often have aftermarket included....I picked up a 48th scale Monogram EA-6B and it had a PE set and a bunch of resin as well.

Take a cab, go GTA Seattle style and steal a car, grab a bus....do whatever it takes to get to Skyway.....you will NOT regret it

Also.....if WWII is your thing, you should really try to get up to Paine Field to see Paul Allen's new "Flight Heritage Collection". Some real beauties up there, and you can stop by and see the factory for the Stormbirds ME-262 project.

Edited by PNW_Modeler

Hello PNW, since I will be visiting Seattle this summer I will try to pay Skyway a visit. The shop seems to be near SEA-TAC Airport where we will be arriving 08/17/11 and leave 09/14/11. We will get a rental car on arriving, so getting to the shop won't be a problem. Is there anything near Skyway models where I can drop of my wife and son for some other shopping/entertainment? :whistle:

Michael

Thanks a lot, PNW! I'll have to see, whether I can manage accessing the Skyway by bus. Paine Field sounds really great, but I see unfortunately no chance for me to do it this time...

Hi IS and Michi,

PNW is right on! Skyway is a fantastic shop! It's a small shop but I can spend hours there combing the shelves.

IS - How long are you in town? When? (PM me with details maybe) The trip to Paine field is totally worth it if you can swing it. Getting around to the various places without a car is a little tricky though. PM me and I can see what I'm doing around that time. I'm down by SEATAC all the time.

Michael - It's close enough to SEA TAC (maybe 15 minutes) but not too close to downtown Seattle. There is a big mall near the airport...

I feel fortunate that when I head to Spain I always have locals (freinds and family) to help me navigate to the various places I want to go. I'm happy to help a visitor however I can.

Cheers!

Pete