In case anyone needed some reference shots of the EAPS (Engine Air Particle Separator) and IRSS (Infra Red Suppression System) cones on the engines for CH-47Fs operating in Afghanistan. The EAPS increases the amount of small particle FOD that is bypassed away from the engine intake through the use of bypass fans and such instead of just a plain FOD screen. The IRSS greatly reduces the IR signature that the engines give off through NVGs.

Picture%2525201486.jpg

front angle

Picture%252520143.jpg

back angle

Picture%252520110.jpg

for reference, here is a shot of a bird with just EAPS and no IRSS installed, normal exhaust cone installed

Picture%252520058.jpg

and here is the normal exhaust and normal FOD screens, again, for reference

Picture%252520068.jpg

ill try and get a closeup of just the engine area today of both and post it tonight.

hope this helps anyone!

Edited by AmericanSoldier15U

front angle

Picture%252520143.jpg

15 Uniform -

1) Thanks very much for your service!

2) Thanks for the posting these pics and providing that info, it's greatly appreciated.

Just curious, on the picture above, what is that rig attached to the sponson a few feet ahead of the rear stbd landing gear? Kinda looks like one of those DIRCM jamming heads but I didn't think these had made there way to the non-SOF cargo birds.

Regards,

John

15 Uniform -

2) Thanks for the posting these pics and providing that info, it's greatly appreciated.

Just curious, on the picture above, what is that rig attached to the sponson a few feet ahead of the rear stbd landing gear? Kinda looks like one of those DIRCM jamming heads but I didn't think these had made there way to the non-SOF cargo birds.

Regards,

John

John,

You are welcome for all of that, and I always knew I would eventually serve, i just didnt know it would be the army working on helos!

im pretty sure those are the DIRCM pods, but i dont touch those pods at all, so i dont know their actual name. I do know they are for jamming incoming missiles, so that may be it. we are starting to get them over here for the Foxes, but mostly they are only on Deltas.

here are some close ups of the engines

standard engine config with exhaust and FOD screen

Picture%252520019.jpg

close up of FOD screen

Picture%252520017.jpg

close up of exhaust

Picture%252520018.jpg

in country config with EAPS and IRSS

Picture%252520022.jpg

close up of EAPS

Picture%252520020.jpg

close up of IRSS

Picture%252520021.jpg

If I could ask one more question - what are those darker colored "boxes" on the underside of the engine cowlings? Are they some sort of vent or are they flare dispensers?

I wish someone would release a resin conversion for an F model. Most of it would be straightforward, but that IRSS rig looks pretty involved.

Regards,

John

If I could ask one more question - what are those darker colored "boxes" on the underside of the engine cowlings? Are they some sort of vent or are they flare dispensers?

I wish someone would release a resin conversion for an F model. Most of it would be straightforward, but that IRSS rig looks pretty involved.

Regards,

John

John, ask all the questions you want. im happy to help.

first off, yeah the IRSS "rig" is pretty involved for sure. the various mounting links on the back end are all adjusted to make sure the cover is within a certain distance on all sides from the cone underneath. that makes for many annoying adjustments when they come from the factory and on new engines and such. in addition, both ends of the links have lock nuts that then have to be lockwired down. this is the first deployment to have them, and i believe we were the first unit to use them. they definitely work, but they reduce the power output of the engines by 3-5%.

those black boxes you see are part of the reset IR mods that have been put on the aircraft in the last yeah to 2 years. along with the black coverings on the fwd xmsn pylons and the black deflectors on the aft pylon clamshell doors, they are meant to reduce the IR signature from those areas that give off the most heat (besides the engines) while the aircraft is running, that being the 3 transmissions.

I too want to thank you for your service! And thank everyone around you, we all are greatful for your sacrifices! And thank you for sharing with the model building comminty, do you build yourself? I know there was a model drive to send to Afganistan recently but if you need any models let us know, I'd be happy to send you one!

I have a request if I may; I love to build and detail any and all open panels and I want to superdetail a CH-47 someday (have the 1/48th kit in my stash) could you post any pics you might have or get of a Chinhook under maintence? some areas I want to see are the spine, both pylons opened and any other things that might have a cover removed. I would love to give it the same treatment as my CH-46; http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=203238 afterall they are Boeing cousins. Also if you see any AH-64s opened up I am currently starting to work on that helicopter (Hasegawa AH-64A) and need all I can get.

Again thank you so much for serving and keep your head down and I hope you all come home safe and sound, and soon! Everett

I too want to thank you for your service! And thank everyone around you, we all are greatful for your sacrifices! And thank you for sharing with the model building comminty, do you build yourself? I know there was a model drive to send to Afganistan recently but if you need any models let us know, I'd be happy to send you one!

I have a request if I may; I love to build and detail any and all open panels and I want to superdetail a CH-47 someday (have the 1/48th kit in my stash) could you post any pics you might have or get of a Chinhook under maintence? some areas I want to see are the spine, both pylons opened and any other things that might have a cover removed. I would love to give it the same treatment as my CH-46; http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=203238 afterall they are Boeing cousins. Also if you see any AH-64s opened up I am currently starting to work on that helicopter (Hasegawa AH-64A) and need all I can get.

Again thank you so much for serving and keep your head down and I hope you all come home safe and sound, and soon! Everett

Everett,

Thank you for your support! We always love to hear that people support the efforts over here, even if the war itself isnt that popular. And you are welcome for the sharing. I used to model a lot 10 years ago or so, but havent done much in the recent past. Even when I did, it was definitely not to the level of detail that you guys around here put into them. I just put it together as the kit said and that was it. I started 1/72 Chinook before i deployed, but i doubt ill finish it. It didnt start out how i planned and now looks pretty bad. Luckily it was cheap lol. But I do plan on starting modeling back up as a hobby and plan on putting more time and detail into it.

I am actually about to head home from this deployment, thank goodness. It has been a loooong year. I dont think we have enough spare time out here anyways to worry about modelling, but the gesture is much appreciated. Being aviation, we work constant ops, 24 hours a day. Our maintenance guys work 12 hours at a time, so stuffing sleep, gym (if we do it), talking to family, etc into the other 12 hours is tough enough as it is! Again, the gesture is much appreciate though!

I would love to send you some detail pics. I wont post them on here, its sort of an OPSEC thing posting pics of inside details, but I can send you some to an e-mail or in a PM on here. Here is the issue though. All our birds are packed up and heading home, so I dont have any to get photos of. When I get back to the states and into a position where I can get the photos, or find some that I have taken before, I will gladly send them to you. It may be the late fall before that happens, though, so if you dont mind waiting, then I can help you out in due time

As for the Apaches, same thing goes with them. I work out of the AH-64D hanger we have here, although my maintenance happens out on line, so I am around the -64s a lot. However, actually getting detailed shots like that of an aircraft that ISNT my airframe is a little more difficult for a few reasons, but i wont go into them. I am not too sure on the internal differences of the A vs the D, the only differences I know are external, so I am not sure how much the pics would even help.

No worries and no rush at all, I have at least two other projects ahead of the Chinhook so you could wait three years and might just be starting it by then! I take my time and spend weeks on one part so it really will be that far off in the future before I work on the -47. I am doing the A model of the Apache because I have some details of the inside (Verlindin walk around book) and you are correct most of the differences are external. I have been asking another ARCer for help with inside shots (John Bernstein known as Cobra historian here on the forum- he's in the PA Army NG) but he also is worried about Opsec which I understand I just want to build the transmission and catwalk area, the black boxes ironically (which I guess are the concern opsec wise) I have plenty of good photos of.

When you get back if you need help and tips/insights with your CH-47 feel free to ask we all we are here to help each other! Get back safe, Everett

No worries and no rush at all, I have at least two other projects ahead of the Chinhook so you could wait three years and might just be starting it by then! I take my time and spend weeks on one part so it really will be that far off in the future before I work on the -47. I am doing the A model of the Apache because I have some details of the inside (Verlindin walk around book) and you are correct most of the differences are external. I have been asking another ARCer for help with inside shots (John Bernstein known as Cobra historian here on the forum- he's in the PA Army NG) but he also is worried about Opsec which I understand I just want to build the transmission and catwalk area, the black boxes ironically (which I guess are the concern opsec wise) I have plenty of good photos of.

When you get back if you need help and tips/insights with your CH-47 feel free to ask we all we are here to help each other! Get back safe, Everett

Yeah Im sur ei could get the shots, but i just wouldnt wanna put em up online, as mentioned before. the xmsn would be difficult to get a good shot of as the airframe is pretty well all around it. there is a panel on each side of the fuselage that can be removed to access the xmsn, but it still doesnt offer a good shot ability. catwalk area also is pretty sensitive area as many of the avionics boxes are in that area. OPSEC is a funny thing, because sometimes things you would think would be crazy covered are not, and things that you would think dont matter at all, do. in the end, it sbetter to be safe than in jail! lol

ill let you know, for sure. thanks agian

15 Uniform -

Regards,

John

ATIRCM was fielded on CH-47 as a QRC.

ATIRCM was fielded on CH-47 as a QRC.

what do you mean QRC? most of our birds, and most of the birds I have seen, do not have the ATIRCM installed. mostly NG and reserve unit Ds have them, but not all of them, and only a few Fs have them. not sure what the basis is for what airframes get them.

what do you mean QRC? most of our birds, and most of the birds I have seen, do not have the ATIRCM installed. mostly NG and reserve unit Ds have them, but not all of them, and only a few Fs have them. not sure what the basis is for what airframes get them.

QRC = Quick Reaction Capability, a method to aquire or field without going through the normal (slow/formal) aquisition process. I forget the exact number, but a little over 80 ATIRCM systems were to be fielded for the CH-47. Which airframes get them, I have no insight into other than they should be on birds either in theater or slated for theater.

Also, thanks for the great pictures.

HTH,

Rodney

Edited by Rodney

QRC = Quick Reaction Capability, a method to aquire or field without going through the normal (slow/formal) aquisition process. I forget the exact number, but a little over 80 ATIRCM systems were to be fielded for the CH-47. Which airframes get them, I have no insight into other than they should be on birds either in theater or slated for theater.

Also, thanks for the great pictures.

HTH,

Rodney

thanks for the explanation Rodney. And yeah from my viewpoint as well there doenst seem to be any semblance to which airframes get them. I assume that maybe each unit is sent a certain number at a time and then its up to the unit which airframe they put it on. When we first got out here, the 3 birds that were attached to us from 5/158 (Big Windy out of Germany) all had them. We never had any given to us, and then when 10th Mountain started showing up, 2 of their birds in country had them. Thats still all they have, and all the ones I have seen. There doesnt really seem to be much of a pattern to go off of at all