F-16C Block 30: tamiya or hasegawa?

Hello to all you Viper gurus.

I'd like a 1:48 scale model of the F-16 halfway down this page~

http://www.cavok-aviation-photos.net/Turkey.html

It is said to be a license-built Block 30B.

I am not familiar with F-16s or F-16 kits, so I thought "Where better to ask the following question, than ARC?"

It appears to me that either the Tamiya F-16 C/N (aggressor version) or the Hasegawa F-16C 'Alaska' kits would be ideal. Since prices are almost identical, and I would not need kit decals or weapons, which would be the better choice?

If it's simply a choice of Tamiya vs. Hasegawa for a straight block 30, Tamiya all the way. I'd consider the Tamiya the winner even if the price was almost double, but that's just me. The fit is so much nicer, and so is the detail. The Hasegawa isn't a total dog, though, and some of the most knowledgeable modelers still consider the Hasegawa kit second best, beating out the Kinetic kit. The Viper in the pics has the extended parabrake housing and few lumps and bumps that will have to be sourced elsewhere, though. At least a couple versions of the Hasegawa kit has the parabrake housing. Some of them come with both styles, so you might find someone who has built (or will build) the kit using the standard tail base and be able to give or sell you the other version. And with good pics, most or all of the rest can be scratchbuilt, with very minimal scratchbuilding skills.

Tamiya hands down, is such a great kit it would beat any other option.

Be sure to buy one with GE engine and large nozzle: the Aggressor/Adversary box is the best option but the Block 50 can be used as well.

For the tail I can sale to you a new complete tail by cutting Edge with parabrake and all the lumps needed.

Happy modelling.

Paolo

First off, let me put in a shameless plug for my new 1/48 Turkish Air Force F-16C/D decals. These will be the most accurate Turkish F-16 decals ever done, period. They include the Turkish/English stencilling you will need for this aircraft, and the squadron insignia. They will also come with all the information you will ever need to build a Turkish F-16C/D of any block, any unit: complete with all the additional parts you will need, where to find those parts, and weapon suggestions for each unit. They will be shipping next week. You can get more information here, and preorder them if you want.

http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48006.html

On to your question: Do you want to build the exact aircraft in the photo? Note that it is an early F-16C with NSI intakes. There are only a few Turkish F-16s flying with NSI intakes, and this is one of them.

I suggest the Tamiya F-16C/N aggressor kit as the right base kit for any Turkish F-16C. It comes with both NSI and MCID intakes. You will need a parabrake housing, enlarged navigation lights and antennae for the Loral Rapport III ECM fit. You can get these additional parts in resin from Wolfpak Design. Alternatively you can get them from any Kinetic F-16C/D kit that has them. The F-16CG/DG kit has these parts, and marks them as unused. You can ask for them from a modeler who intends to build his as a USAF bird. The parts you need are C14, C16, F7, I9, I11.

The aircraft in the photo is a 143.Filo aircraft, but it is incorrectly labeled as a 141.Filo example. Here's a representative profile of a 143.Filo F-16C I have drawn: The parts you will need are for the ECM antenna on the two sides of the parachute housing, and the small antenna under the intake.

48006c4.jpg

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Edited by KursadA

Already, some very informative responses. You have helped me decide on the base kit; I will certainly opt for the Tamiya. I'll continue to check for more replies, and I appreciate the help. FYI, my goal is to have 1:48 scale sets of "evolution pairs" from a wide variety of countries. Some will show how technology has changed over the years (an example of that would be our USAF, with an American-built DH-4 and an F-22). Sometimes the pair will be important in the history of the nation (Helldiver from the Greek Civil War paired with a Hellenic AF Mirage 2000). In some cases I will be trying to capture a moment from the very early years of the jet fighter (Swiss AF Venom) compared to a very modern one (Swiss F-18 Hornet). And in some of the pairs, my choice makes no other statement than "I just like these aircraft" (Royal Navy: Traveller/Staggerwing and Sea Harrier). Some of the nations I want in my collection include Libya (MiG-23 and Mirage F-1), Denmark (F-86D and Sikorsky 61), New Zealand (Canberra B(I)12 and Kaman Seasprite), Spain (F-5B and Eurofighter), Italy (Re.2005 Sagittario and F-104S Starfighter), India (MiG-21 "Bison" and SU-30MK), Iran (F-4E and MiG-29), Argentina (air force Gloster Meteor and naval Macchi 326), South Africa (Mirage III and Hawk 120), Slovakia (Avia B-534 and Albatros L-39ZA), Israel (Ta-4J and F-15I), Saudi Arabia (Lightning and Tornado), Portugal (F-84G and A-7P), and a few more...

This is an idea I've been toying with for at least ten years. Unfortunately, my eyesight has gotten to the point where I can't do any more modeling, so I'm working with a few contract builders. I had contact with six people that I thought were going to be steady producers. I'm now down to three, all of whom are very talented and affordable. At this rate, the collection should be complete when I'm about 115 years old...

Edited by XPhantomTweet

Tamiya hands down, is such a great kit it would beat any other option.

Be sure to buy one with GE engine and large nozzle: the Aggressor/Adversary box is the best option but the Block 50 can be used as well.

For the tail I can sale to you a new complete tail by cutting Edge with parabrake and all the lumps needed.

Happy modelling.

Paolo

Don't get the Block 50 boxing if you need the lightweight gear and doors--they don't come in the block 50 kit.

from what I have seen from a model made by a friend of mine the Wolfpack parachute housing would not fit the Tamiya tail that is a bit fatter then the aftermarket resin part, so I strongly suggest you to opt for the Cutting Edge tail that gives you a complete new tail.

Edited by Paolo Maglio

First off, let me put in a shameless plug for my new 1/48 Turkish Air Force F-16C/D decals.

{...}

Let me know if you have any more questions.

I have been reading about the Advanced Block 50 birds recently acquired by Turkey. Which, if any, of your suggestions would change if I decided to go with one of these instead of the early Block 30 machine? Does your decal set cover the more modern Block 50/Block 50+ Turkish Vipers?

I have been reading about the Advanced Block 50 birds recently acquired by Turkey. Which, if any, of your suggestions would change if I decided to go with one of these instead of the early Block 30 machine? Does your decal set cover the more modern Block 50/Block 50+ Turkish Vipers?

My decal sheet includes stencilling for Turkish Block 50+ Vipers as well as a single option for 07-1015, which is so far the only Block 50+ Viper publicly displayed by the Turkish Air Force. The other aircraft are in the process of being built (in Turkey) and delivered, but 07-1015 is the only example that has been widely photographed.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7186886

Edited by KursadA

My decal sheet includes stencilling for Turkish Block 50+ Vipers as well as a single option for 07-1015, which is so far the only Block 50+ Viper publicly displayed by the Turkish Air Force. The other aircraft are in the process of being built (in Turkey) and delivered, but 07-1015 is the only example that has been widely photographed.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=7186886

This reply illustrates perfectly what I meant by 'who better to ask'-- I doubt I would have found this information in a month of internet research. I already have the Kinetic "Polish" F-16D kit, which is for a Block 52+ with CFT's. Who makes the best GE exhaust parts for this kit, and what else do I need to convert 52+ to 50+?

Looks like I'll be buying your decals, assuming there are still a few available.

This reply illustrates perfectly what I meant by 'who better to ask'-- I doubt I would have found this information in a month of internet research. I already have the Kinetic "Polish" F-16D kit, which is for a Block 52+ with CFT's. Who makes the best GE exhaust parts for this kit, and what else do I need to convert 52+ to 50+?

Looks like I'll be buying your decals, assuming there are still a few available.

I think Kinetic F-16s are fine kits, but the best kit to build a Turkish F-16D Block 50+ would be the Hasegawa kit (kit #9906). It has both types of intakes and exhausts, and has everything you will need to build 07-1015.

Edited by KursadA

No difference, stay with the Tamiya Aggressor kit, but you will be using the Large Mouth intake GE exhaust and Heavy Gear, but you still have the issue of finding a "good" tail.

The difference between the 52 and 50 would be intakes and engines. I'd try and find the Shaun Hull GE engines or Aires, but I'm not sure of the fit on Aires exhaust, try to find some build articles and see what people say.

Curt