Patrol Boat-River (PBR)

I usually hang out in the airplane forum since I do only 1/48 scale aircraft. This boat was a special project.

This is a 1/35 scale PBR kit by Tamiya. I built it for a co-worker who will soon retire and I am going to present it to him as a gift at his retirment party. He served in the US Navy during the Vietnam War and was assigned to the "Brown Water Navy" as they called the guys who patrolled the rivers in the Mekong Delta. His battle station was in the twin .50 cal. turret in the front of the boat. He and his crew mates were on patrol when the Tet Offensive suddenly exploded around them. He loves history and loves to talk about his Navy experience. I imagine this gift will bring tears to his eyes. I had posted up a few months ago in the General Discussion forum asking for opinions on whether or not to include the figures. The vote was overwhelmingly 'NO' as these figures, although of good quality, are molded in action poses and would have given it a toy-like appearance. I decided to present it in pristine condition and left out the figures. I did leave a pair of helmets laying around on board. The accessories that came with this kit were amazing. It came with the fuel cans, oil drums, figures, a multitude of weapons, water can, hot food container, and even beer bottles and a boom box. I left the beer bottles and boom box out. I built this totally OOB. Everything you see came with the kit. I used painted kite string to hang the tires. The boat was painted with Model Master enamel and an overcoat of Model Master flat clear laquer. The thread holding the flag was stiffened by wicking Future floor polish into it using a small sable brush. The kit was fun and easy to build. If anyone wants to know about the quality of this kit, I give it a big two thumbs up!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

6428640557_a6d75f32cf_b.jpg

6428640605_39b74d1d35_b.jpg

6428640723_cf833718e6_b.jpg

Edited by Plano Guy

Plano Guy

I think this is quite an OUTSTANDING build..I would have said that a figure or two on the boat gives it life ...A bit of movement AND looks alive with the figures...The accessories are GREAT but a figure dotted about would have a realistic feeling to it..Maybe if you did a small diorama then you could use the figures et al in them..

Very nicely painted and good job! :woo: hoo

Still it is EXCELLENT build..I DO LIKE IT... :jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping::jaw-dropping:

Edited by HOLMES