Visit to The Model Cave, Ypsilanti, MI (SE Michigan)

I stopped by again today, Jon and Melissa are knowledgeable, VERY modeler-friendly, and eager to please. Here are links for more:

http://annarbor.com/business-review/ypsilantis-model-cave-finds-success-in-an-old-hobby/

http://www.ipmskalamazoo.org/builds/miscellaneous/modelcave-hobby-shop-3/

A link to their Facebook page is contained in the second article.

They have a really nice selection of kits, especially older ones and kits from some of the more obscure European companies (they've evidently bought out some collections). I picked up one of the old Revell A6M kits just cuz I built a couple of them when I was a kid, I'll build it and put it with the Monogram F-101 (the OLD one) that I recently bought and will build for the "nostalgia" shelf.

I also picked up some of the hard-to-find Tamiya extra-thin liquid cement (yes, he has more in stock). He's also pushing his distributors to get him some Mr. Surfacer in all grades. I suggested he post his newly-stocked items and specials here (they just ended a 20%-off sale on plastic kits, but they gave me the discount anyway cuz they still had the sale signs posted).

If you're anywhere near their area, I HIGHLY recommend you stop in and see them. You REALLY need to see (or call them) if there are any vintage/hard to find European kits.

Semper Fi

John

• 1 year later...

Headed to Ann Arbor tomorrow on USAF business and am curious if the Model Cave is still in business. Ive got some time after my FAAC tour and will stop in on Wednesday. Prices good? Need a plain Jane Hasegawa F-16C in 1/72 for a project.

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by ST0RM

Well, I got finished at FAAC early and made the 10 minute drive over to Ypsilanti only to find the shop closed for the week. Damn!

I'll try again next month when I come back for the week to continue testing.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Headed to Ann Arbor tomorrow on USAF business and am curious if the Model Cave is still in business. Ive got some time after my FAAC tour and will stop in on Wednesday. Prices good? Need a plain Jane Hasegawa F-16C in 1/72 for a project.

Thanks,

Jeff

I was just in there a couple days ago. Still there and doing well from what I can tell. It really is a great store!

• 5 months later...

Last night of this week's trip to Ann Arbor, so I braved I94 and made it to the Model Cave. As has been said, Jon and Melissa are VERY friendly and helpful. Their stock of kits is amazing! I spent an hour just looking over the isles getting orientated, as I literally was overloaded. They had several long OOP kits in stock at great prices and Jon even mentioned that if I really wanted something specific, he had another 200+ kits at his home he would look through to find it.

Needless to say, that was a great 2 hours. I picked up 3 kits I've been looking for a long time and only spent $40. It would have been more, but its Christmas and I had to pack everything for my return trip to Oklahoma.

But I'll be back in January!!

-Jeff