Hi guys

I wanted to share with you this interesting info i found about Su-35UB 801.

There is a twin Su-27UB, painted and marked exactly the same as Su-35UB, it was done for purpose of filming movie Mirror wars.

Anyway, that Su-27UB is now at Zhukovski and i managed to find a photo of it.

So first photo is Su-27UB and second is Su-35UB, notice difference on tails.

139754_63193176_SU-27UB2080120BLUE20ZHUKOVSKY202009.jpg

111696_42404422_KnAAPO-Su-35UB-1.jpg

So if anyone always wanted to build that plane but was afraid of converting Academy kit (as i was), here you go, now you can built 801 without any modifications :)

Oh and btw, one question....does anyone know which colours would fit the best for that cammo?

I reckon base colour could be something like RLM 76 but i`m not sure about other two.

Edited by Sukhoi Su-27

The 'fake' Su-35UB has been on the Sukhoi ramp at Zhukovsky for years - I took this shot from the coach in 2007....

day06_024.jpg

As you say it was used for the ejection-seat firings in the Russian film 'Mirror Wars'.

There are a set of photos on the net showing the seat apparently being fired in flight - but they were done on the ground (you can make out the u/c doors etc.)

The 'real' Su-35UB was flown by Yevgenny Frolov without the canopy fitted for the 'post ejection' shots - there are pics of him in the canopy-less Su-35UB and on the ground wrapped up tight in a warm flight suit - it was apparently freezing doing those air-to-air shots.

Ken

• 10 years later...

I Found this reply in Discord (Codename FLANKER Community) Translated by english from Russian:

In short, this is the story of this car. According to the documentation, this is the Su-30MKK, but modified. In production, it passed everywhere as "80-08", i.e. the eighth machine of the eightieth series. Episode 80 is the very first IWC series. Therefore, structurally, it is closest to the IWC.
This aircraft was prepared as a demonstrator for the Korean tender (following which the Koreans chose the F-15K), so they gave it the beautiful name Su-35UB. It is written on the "Airvar" that the design bureau called the vehicle T-10UBM, but this is not true. UBM is a completely different machine that never appeared entirely in metal (only the GChF was built). Why did they decide to make a car with PGO and UVT for the Koreans - this is a separate "song", political. ICCs were intended for China, but ours did not want to transfer these technologies to them. But Korea is a completely different matter.
A separate story about UVT, which never appeared on this aircraft, although the machine is completely ready for installation of engines with a controlled thrust vector (there are corresponding CDS, ACS and an engine control system). Initially, they wanted to supply the same engines (AL-31FP) that are installed on the Irkutsk-made Su-30MKI. But in those years, Irkut and KnAAPO competed fiercely with each other in the struggle for orders, and the Sukhoi Design Bureau somehow poorly controlled this process. In many respects, therefore, we owe the appearance of so many modifications of the Su-30, which are poorly compatible with each other. In general, at that time the factories "steered" on their own, so Irkut invested financially in the development of the AL-31FP engine (which were installed on the MKI) and received part of the copyright on it. When KnAAPO wanted to install these engines on its aircraft, Irkut sensed a competitor and simply blocked the signing of an agreement for the supply of these engines. As a result, "80-08" was left without UVT. But KnAAPO did not give up and concluded an agreement with the Salyut plant for the development of an "all-angle nozzle" similar to that on the MiG-29OVT, but under the AL-31F.
But this case dragged on for a long time, so that engines with these nozzles did not appear on the Su-35UB. So, throughout history, this machine flew with conventional AL-31F engines, although it was prepared for the installation of engines with UVT.
In terms of internal equipment, the machine was almost identical to the serial MKK, except, as I already mentioned, the control system, which was “sharpened” for PGO and UVT. But after the filming of the film, the equipment changed, since the aircraft was used to work out solutions for the Su-27SM-2 and SM-3 programs. In particular, a new Zhuk radar was installed (apparently, modifications of the ITU).
According to the airframe, as I already wrote, the serial IWC was taken as the basis, so the center section, the KhChF, the wing panels, the keels - all this can be safely taken from the IWC. The GChF is also an ICC-shnaya, but the boules were undocked and redone, which purely outwardly began to resemble the MKI (when the "theory" was reworked under the PGO, the "theory" T-10M, and not the MKI, was taken as the basis). But internally, everything is different there, since the machine is finalized. The MKK and MKI have a different configuration of tank-1 (located behind the 18th frame and up to the center section), so transitional pads were installed on top of the MKK-shny tank for the "theory" of the boule with PGO. The boules themselves were made new, so that the "cut" and the location of the hatches in these places practically do not intersect with the MKI. Also, the theory of MCC and MCI is slightly different in the area of the OLS fairing, but this is practically indistinguishable by the eye.

unknown.png