361st FG FOUR MUSTANGS PAINT COLOR FORMULAS

Said simply, if you adjust the total scan so E2-S is the near 225 80 50 or 240 60 60 and in doing so the sky goes pink or primrose and the noses white the we can feel saver if when the scan is adjusted to get you heavy grays off the greens and redorange of the noses that the dark green is correct. However it the sky goes un-natural and the same ag area is not right, you fail with the greens.

Said simply, if you adjust the total scan so E2-S is the near 225 80 50 or 240 60 60 and in doing so the sky goes pink or primrose and the noses white the we can feel saver if when the scan is adjusted to get you heavy grays off the greens and redorange of the noses that the dark green is correct. However it the sky goes un-natural and the same ag area is not right, you fail with the greens.

Phil

The colors shown in the paint chips on the photo are the colors I am using on these four model Mustangs.

I sent this photo to my client and he agreed that these color chips looked close to the colors in the photos.

This article was an answer to some people who wanted to know the paint formulas for these colors.

I don’t want to know different theories about colors and how to shift colors, I just wanted to know what color to paint different model aircraft.

For me the Adobe Color Picker told me what I couldn’t see by eye, because the colors in the photo have such a low saturation of color hue.

Dave

And the low saturation you saw by eye is also in the pickers analysis a very muted drk green with way too much gray. Amen to that.

Phil

I learned from the Munsell Color System that the human eye cannot detect color hues in shades of color that are low in Saturation (chroma) or are at either end of the Brightness (Value) range.

This is why there are no color chips in these ranges in the Munsell Color System.

The Adobe Color Picker has no trouble seeing these colors and placing a measured value on them.

Dave

Ok no one really cares nor do I but as a matter of explainination:

The formular tag on the nose of E2-S translates to 52 % cool gray of 60% black % 2% blue. That is avery muted gray.

To that 52% cool dark gray David added 48% Eur dark green ...another very muted color were it decomposed into its components. So he has basically paint the plane gray with a slightly green cast...like a German field gray. It is a dark cool gray plane in. The Adobe eye.

Don t know David. Thanks . However that is in regard to hue as you presented it. In art school we were told the human eye is highly effective in detecting even small variations in shades of gray. That is were Adobe put you. If the 2% blue is cooling the gray is really not of much consequence. It is visibly not a warm gray.

Of course there is spectrum beyond the human visual range unassisted...infrared ultraviolet x ray. Your statement only has meaning in absolute terms of how low in the scale it applies...0.0001 saturation of the visible range of red hue? See my point?

If black is black within 0.001 fine. If bright is glare at 99.991 white ..ok. if gray is gray she d be here today Los Brovos c. 1966. And detectable.

I just don't see how scanning a picture were the planes look gray and a tool tells why they look gray in mix is other than circular logic unless you belived them to be gray and had the way to mix it already. In which case the post was pointless where it ask what color were these planes Its Buger King modeling. Have it you way. I m certainly OK W/ that. My 352 Botney blue nose(Dec 44) is very different than most but its my interpretation for that era. See Airfix Tribute.

Jnteresting in that the time and position of my reply to huh? Swifted down one. Mysteriou. Just want it clear that the not sure who care was in response to huh?

Not that interesting or mysterious - check the posting times. David's is 2:36; yours is 2:37. Obviously he posted his reply while you were still working on yours. Some forums have a feature that warns you when that happens; I guess this one doesn't.

John

Jnteresting in that the time and position of my reply to huh? Swifted down one. Mysteriou. Just want it clear that the not sure who care was in response to huh?

You might avoid that confusion by quoting the post to which you're replying?

Ok I did some research on the Munssel colormetric systems. The system itself has limitation in ploting and numbering colors that study groups distingushed from both Mussel and Dupont chips. Lots of heavy calculis followed. Bottom line is colormetric now suggest 4 , 5 or 7 demensional syestems are needed and the human eye has not three types of color receptor cones but four. The next step is to attempt to isolate and plot the functions of all four cones. So the state of the science is the oppostie of what was presented. The Munsell system can not represent all the color the eye can precieve and is why there are no cards beyond some point still in the human visual range.

one small thing about the "limitations of the Munsell system",,,,,I have read that also

but

in a lot of cases, the Munsell system was used to create the color in the first place,,,,,so, the "limited" aspect only means something along the line of "no RLM colors will be identified in the decision of which USN color we see in a photo",,,,,it would act as a sorting tool/BS filter of sorts

put another way,,,,,anytime someone decides that a Dupont Red color designed in 1973 is in a WW II photo, that would be an error,,,but, if it matches Munsell 1929 Book of Color, that might be more accurate