Another possibly annoying P-51 question

Working on the new ZM kit that has all the frame parts and such that you can make visible. The instructions say the frame is "lime green" , which no. Pictures of the real things vary because any color pictures I've found are all restored birds and you know how they can be changed. So would it have been the same or similar to the interior green of the cockpit? Or more of a zync chromate? I was thinking of maybe adding a little interior green to my chromate to make it a darker shade of green and maybe that would be the ticket?

Also the frames in the wings and other such places would they be the same as the engine mounts? Or would they have been left natural metal? I plan to keep one side of this opened up to show all the framework so it's mildly important.

I know the wheel well vary and will copy what I did on my 1:48 kit to get those but before I paint all these frame parts I wanted a general idea.

tia

K

The exact shade could vary, but I would use Interior Green (maybe lighten it a little so you're not seeing a monolithic block of Interior Green when you look in the cockpit) for the inside of canopy framing, and Black for the Windscreen framing.

I'm more talking about the engine mount framing and the wing spars.

Also I noticed the engine mounts would be the green color but the mounts for the body panels would be non painted metal? Or also green?

Big, check my P-51D "Jan" thread for the painted area of the cockpit, and I have seen pics showing the engine cradle both zinc chromate yellow or green. The main wing spar I believe was zinc chromate yellow, and the balance of the air frame was unpainted aluminum. As far as the gun bays, I am unsure, I hope tourist will chime in with any corrections, and some advice on the gun bays.

Edited by xmh53wrench

Things evolved a bit during production but the basic idea remained the same.

For the most part Mustangs didn't have a full anti corrosion finish.

The "ribs" in the wings and fuselage would often be coated with YZC but not the skin riveted to them (except around the fuel cells).

The cockpit was interior green.

The canopy and windshield interior frames were both flat black.

The engine mount was interior green.

Throughout the plane small braces could be coated with tinted (green) ZC.

Its all a bit of a patchwork really.

Crap. Painted the wing ribs zc but also the engine mount. Guess I'll have to repaint it. Thanks for the info though good stuff. I'll make sure to zc the panels around the fuel tanks if they're visible at all.

Would then the mounts for the engine cowling be interior green as well or nmf?

Bigass ( :rofl: ), I'm only talking about the fuel cells in the wings.

The walls around the fuselage fuel cell were interior green.

The frames holding the cowlings were usually NMF.

Xmh53, the gun bays were also a "patchwork".

Google pictures of the restored P-51D "Happy Jack's Go Buggy" and find photos of the gun bays, it should give you an idea of what it looked like.

Bigass ( :rofl: ), I'm only talking about the fuel cells in the wings.

The walls around the fuselage fuel cell were interior green.

The frames holding the cowlings were usually NMF.

Xmh53, the gun bays were also a "patchwork".

Google pictures of the restored P-51D "Happy Jack's Go Buggy" and find photos of the gun bays, it should give you an idea of what it looked like.

You did say that engine mounts were interior green though. So I'll have to darken those then.