11 10 2012

This is what I am looking for:

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Eamon-de-Valeras-1947-Dodge-to-become-a-tourist-attraction-in-County-Clare-121854869.html

and here

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/people/eamon_car1.htm

The text elsewhere on that second site reads:

'This car is a 1947 Plymouth Dodge, registration number ZH 1333. Originally maroon in colour, the car was manufactured by the Chrysler Corporation in Detroit, U.S.A. It is 226 inches long, 75 inches wide and 66 inches high. Weighing approximately 2 tons, the car can seat 8 people plus the driver.'

Liam

12 10 12

Hey there. They have the actual car preserved in Ennis, a town about 20 miles from me so I went along and took some photos. It's in good nick and gets a run out on very special occaisions and St. Patrick's Day.

100_1929.jpg

100_1932.jpg

100_1953.jpg

100_1954.jpg

This is why I thought it was a Dodge Plymouth and even the official text along with it describes it as such.

Anyways, I found this online as well....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261110825572?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Which looks like the right body work. Combine that with the wheels from the '41 and prehaps I have a shot at it

Liam

Alas, models of Chrysler Corporation vehicles from this period are virtually non-existent. We're beginning to see a few 50s-era MOPARs; Moebius' '55 Chrysler 300, the AMT '57 300 and '58 Plymouth Belvedere, but immediate post-war cars? Guess I wouldn't hold my breath.

AMT did a '41 Plymouth coupe back in the 70s, which has been re-issued many times since, but it looks absolutely nothing like the post-war Plymouths.

If you are very resourceful, and willing to work in a larger scale, you might try modifying the recent 1/18 die-cast of the '48 Chrysler New Yorker. If nothing else, you could use the chasis and wheels. Then the challenge would be modifying the body, which is vaguely similar. The bumpers and hood are about the same, though the trim is very different. You'd need a new grill and brightwork. Needless to say, this would all take a ton of scratch-building in metal, and just acquiring donor models could be an expensive proposition in itself.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

... you might try modifying the recent 1/18 die-cast of the '48 Chrysler New Yorker. If nothing else, you could use the chasis and wheels. Then the challenge would be modifying the body, which is vaguely similar. The bumpers and hood are about the same, though the trim is very different. You'd need a new grill and brightwork. Needless to say, this would all take a ton of scratch-building in metal, and just acquiring donor models could be an expensive proposition in itself.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

14 10 2012

It was something along this line that I had in mind only in plastic. That resin body and chasis on ebay looks about right ( and would be easier to work with) but doesn't seem to have wheels. If I also buy the '41 Plymouth kit, it will give me the wheels. The rest would have to be scratch built as there is a divider glass between driver and rear compartment, much like in modern Limo's and taxi's. There are also a host of other elements particular to this car that would have to be home-made.

It's a long-finger project anyways until after I finish University AND finish the stretched C-130J-30 I have on the bench. :)

Thanks for the input guys. Guess I need to buy two kits!

Liam