I am working on the seat for my 1/48 Revell F-84E kit. The problem is I can't find any good pics (The ejectionseat site has the F version) to detail the seat.

I assume the seat color is interior green, but what color are the cushions? Gray? Black? And what about the belts? The kit does not have any so I will have to use tape I guess.

Any idea on what I can do with this seat? Pics would be a great help.

Thanks.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I have a mountain of F-84 reference material at home, I'll check for you later tonight when I get home. I'll also post some pictures of what I did with the seat for a G I'm almost done with. The biggest thing was I made an oxygen tube out of fine gauge wire, it made a huge difference.

Edited by rightwinger26

Ok, I just got home from work, but this is what I've found so far, just two photos, not exactly what you are looking for. I have more books, I just need to dig around more when I get a minute.

569836d34775f4b68a63f08c69c22c7c.jpg

8fa882e0a39c1291c6014ac6ca5d49ea.jpg

The second photo would have been perfect had it been color. If memory serves right, and I don't have the book in front of me mind you, the parachute served as the pilots butt cushion, but I need to look that up to verify. Here is how I paint my G cockpit that I'm finishing

50ac70d7530756ae86e5b85aa5300582.jpg

20f720e452501f27b670bead0142dfdf.jpg

556e3abbfaa8b0144e71c725952ee944.jpg

Sport, didn't realize that last picture was so fuzzy. But I made the oxygen hose from fine gauge wire, and used the same wire fore the lines that run behind the headrest. Hope this helps some, and I'll dig up more when I get a minute.

Bill

OH JEEZ!!! I just looked at the subject line and saw that it said E!!! The whole way home I had F stuck in my head for some reason!! Belay my last! I'll get it right.

Edited by rightwinger26

Thanks for the photos Bill. The ones of your kit seat actually help because it is the same Revell F-84 seat/cockpit I have.

So, the basic seat color was IG ad NO cushions. I have to figure out the oxygen hose and belts, but I think that's it.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I'll look for more photos to verify the color and the cushions. Making the oxygen hose is very simple, just take a long piece of wire, bend it in half, then wrap the wire around itself, while at the same time pushing the twists tight so there are no gaps. Bend to shape. Paint. Does that make sense? The belts are just eduard PE, mainly cause I've never really been able to make tape belts and get them to look good

One more question...

Would you happen to have any pics of the area behind the cockpit under the canopy? There is a lot of detail in this area on the kit and I want to know if I am doing it right. Plus I want to see what the "pully" assembly is for.

Thanks.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Wow. Actually that does help a bit.

Would you happen to have anything in color? I know it is mostly black, but there may be some items of color back there.

Thanks for all your help.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

P.S.

I am on the home stretch with the model. All that's left is the canopy/windscreen/gun-sight/wingtip lights, then it is DONE! I will post pics then.

EXCELLENT BILL!!

That's what I needed.

I'll post a pic when I finish. (It's done in Bare Metal Foil)

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Edited by f-16

OK. Her it is.. (Drum roll please...)

Just finished off the bench. My Revell 1/48 F-84E done OOB with Bare Metal Foil. Decals are from Eagle Strike.

53572032.jpg

22d_Fighter-Bomber_Squadron_-_Republic_F-84E-10-RE_Thunderjet_-_49-2223.jpg

I will be writing up an article for the ARC gallery soon.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Edited by f-16

BEAUTIFUL JOB SCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait to see the article with more pictures. Did you have an inssue with the intake ring fitting correctly? Thats the only downside to the Revell kit for me, I always en up with a step thats a pain to get rid of. Oh, and I wish the inboard and nose landing gear doors were molded seperate (minor). Other than that its one of my top 5 favorite kits.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Also, THANKS for your help with the pics. I really appreciate it.

The nose ring was not really a big problem on mine. There was a small step that I easily removed with sanding. (And the red decal helped cover the rest. :D/>/> ) Just keep dry-fitting and careful sanding and it should fit fine. I actually had better fit when I removed some of the "tab ring" on the intake ring. Then the part fit MUCH better. Perhaps the solution is to remove this ring altogether?

I assumed that the nose gear doors would be a problem later on, so I easily removed them with a raw. Took about a minute to do.

There is ONE problem area (I think?) on the kit. The angle of the wings. Because of the wing tab and the way they fit to the fuselage, the wings seem to have "too much" upward angle. (Dihedral?) But this was the only way the wings would fit the fuselage without any gaps.

Oh also, the seams in the nose gear bay roof. I just cut 4 pieces of plastic the correct size and fit them over the seams. It's not the best, but it's better than having visible seams that you can't get at to fix. Right?

How is yours coming along? Any pics?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

OK. Her it is.. (Drum roll please...)

Nice work, Scott!

I love the F-84, but one thing that stinks is that I stink at NMF.

Why not build a Yugoslav one in camouflage, then?

Cheers,

Andre

How is yours coming along? Any pics?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I'll try and get some up tonight, I got home from work really late last night. The Bombs and rockets arent done, but the jet is.

Nice work, Scott!

Why not build a Yugoslav one in camouflage, then?

Cheers,

Andre

I don't currently have decals for any Thunderjets of other nationalities, but I'm working on building a large collection of decal sheets. Being my favorite jet, I build lots of them, and the USAF markings are just too cool to not build. I'm getting better at NMF, just not great at it yet, practice make perfect!

Bill

So here are the pictures of my latest Thunderjet, like I said, not a good effort, and some bad pictures. The weapons still need to be installed, the wingtip light lenses and the speed brake do too. I used the kit decals instead of wasting aftermarket ones. Hopefully the next try will be better.

5138dd4beb86098383eded5ccf9c849a.jpg

50048e600bd1d5238c54b8d036b8dfa8.jpg

Thanks for looking

Bill

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How were the decals for the tail? Did they give any problems with conforming?

Same question for the nose decal?

Also, did you use the OD decal for the spine or paint?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Edited by f-16

Thanks, the decals on the tail were ok, it took about three applications of micro sol. the decal below the stab was tough to get into position. I painted the nose, the red and the spine are both paint, not decals. I'm not overall happy with the NMF, I didnt wait long enough to mask, and the finish is kind of rough.

Bill

Masking BMF can be a pain if your not careful.

I use Para-film to do ALL my masking. It's great! No residue left over, it gives a nice sharp edge, no bleed-under and it WONT pull up paint. I have even masked paint that has been dried for a half hour (MM Acryl) and it did not pull up the paint. Great stuff!

That's what I used for the spine on the F-84. Worked great!

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I'll have to try it on the next one. I use Alclad, but I should have givin it a day or two to cure, never really had a problem before using detacked blue tape. I just ordered a bunch of Thunderjet and Thunderstreak decals from squadrons sale! My collection just keeps growing.

Nicely done. Not sure why you think it is not well done ... ?! But, being my own worst critic, I can identify ... :D

As for the spine decals that came with the kit, they are not close to correct color. I've attached a photo of my build done FTB, kit provided to me gratis by Revell for review when the kit was first released. To compare, I've attached a photo of a Tamiya build I did with correct anti-glare Olive Green. Thunderjets had either Matte Black or Olive Green anti-glare.

f-84g-30-re-52-3325-usaf-fs-325-20080322-k6-bc-pm48bcbx-a1628-800.jpg

Revell F-84E 48th FTB

f-84e-15-re-49-2428-usaf-fs-428a-20080323-19-bc-tm48bcbe-a1695-800.jpg

Tamiya F-84E 48th (kitbashed to F-84D ... which is incorrect for this S/N ... oooops!). :o

Edited by Plankwing