Fiat (Aeritalia) G.91Y

Hi guys,

Besides the rocket pods, did anything else in terms of weapons fit beneath the wings of the G.91Y?

Given the extra power from the two engines, I was wondering if it was possible to carry Sidewinders for self defense on reconnaissance missions or... whatever!? :blush:

Cheers,

Niki

According to wikipedia, there was a prototype G.91YS that was intended to carry sidewinders on additional hardpoints, though I don't think this made production.

Generally, if it needed to defend itself, it would rely on the 2 internal 30mm cannons, wouldn't you think? I can't find any photos online of it with any other loadout but 2 drop tanks inboard and 2 pods outboard. That doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I couldn't find them with a bit of searching.

Thanks Paolo and Mark!

A bit of searching I did myself prior to posting here, but I thought that even as the BAe Hawk got provision for Air-to-Air missiles (and the Jaguar, Orao/ IAR-93, etc.) it might be worth asking. Sure, with only four pylons and the likely need to carry tanks, having two missiles for protection you'd suddenly lose the ability to perform your intended task anyway - if that would be attack, interdiction...

Well, of I go to get the Pavla cockpit! :)