Silly project: Vigilante, OIF/OEF style

I've decided on this winter's silly project, which will be a 1/72 what-if A-5E Vigilante in OIF/OEF markings - essentially, I'm going to start with an RA-5C, leave off the camera gondola, and have some fun adding stuff like modern weapons, chaff/flare dispensers, and whatever else strikes my fancy as I build it.

A couple of pre-build questions have arisen, though - first of all, which kit to use. I had an old Revell kit, and while it has recessed panel lines at least that is about the only modern feature of the whole thing - it also has fit issues, and the canopy is molded shut which takes a bunch of the fun out of it. The Trumpeter version seems to be relatively easy to get, but the reviews and build-up articles I've seen really make it seem over-engineered, and the fit didn't look all that great either. Finally, there's the Hasegawa kit, which I believe has raised panel lines? IIRC it at least has opening canopies, though given the usual level of interior detail on Hasegawa's old kits I'd most likely need to steal at least the seats from somewhere else, like a couple their single seat Super Bugs. (Did the Revell single seater come with a spare? Mine is stashed somewhere)

Anyway, the most difficult part of the mods I want to do seems to be replacing the after clamshell piece with a fully transparent one, rather than the claustrophobia hood. Is there any kit whatsoever that has something I can use in its place, or can I polish out the molded window from the kit part? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

Also, has anyone else done such a thing in 1/72? I found a 1/144 build once upon a time (which is part of where the idea comes from), but that's not really my scale. :)

I like your idea. I've got a few of the Trumpeter (72nd) Vigi's set aside for some what-if projects. Built the Has kit years ago and remember it taking a fair amount of work for what I got out of it.

As to the canopy, I've thought about trying to enlarge the aft clear area too. One idea was to try cutting sections of the aft canopy out and fitting sections from others in the spares box, maybe from an F-105. Might need to leave a center frame down the top but get an overall larger clear area.

Good luck with your project and look forward to seeing it later.

Airfix is not among the ones I've been able to find for sale online (neither is the Hasegawa, but I remember seeing that at the hobby shop), and I usually would only go with them if they're the only option, since they tend to need a lot of work. Especially their older kits.

I've decided on this winter's silly project, which will be a 1/72 what-if A-5E Vigilante in OIF/OEF markings - essentially, I'm going to start with an RA-5C, leave off the camera gondola, and have some fun adding stuff like modern weapons, chaff/flare dispensers, and whatever else strikes my fancy as I build it.

A couple of pre-build questions have arisen, though - first of all, which kit to use. I had an old Revell kit, and while it has recessed panel lines at least that is about the only modern feature of the whole thing - it also has fit issues, and the canopy is molded shut which takes a bunch of the fun out of it. The Trumpeter version seems to be relatively easy to get, but the reviews and build-up articles I've seen really make it seem over-engineered, and the fit didn't look all that great either. Finally, there's the Hasegawa kit, which I believe has raised panel lines? IIRC it at least has opening canopies, though given the usual level of interior detail on Hasegawa's old kits I'd most likely need to steal at least the seats from somewhere else, like a couple their single seat Super Bugs. (Did the Revell single seater come with a spare? Mine is stashed somewhere)

Anyway, the most difficult part of the mods I want to do seems to be replacing the after clamshell piece with a fully transparent one, rather than the claustrophobia hood. Is there any kit whatsoever that has something I can use in its place, or can I polish out the molded window from the kit part? Or should I just leave well enough alone?

Also, has anyone else done such a thing in 1/72? I found a 1/144 build once upon a time (which is part of where the idea comes from), but that's not really my scale. :)/>/>/>/>

Neat idea for a project.

Just a couple of things on the chronology of the 1/72 kits:

Hasegawa: The kit does not have opening canopies, but it does have the best overall shape IMHO.

Revell: Knock off of the Hasegawa kit, with poorer fit.

Airfix: Fit issues, lack of detailing, and spindly landing gear. You can open the front canopy, but not the rear.

Trumpeter: Agree with the "over engineered" comments, plus the finished kit just doesn't look "right" to me.

(If you're really a glutton for punishment you can always checkout the really old box scale Revell and Monogram kits. The Revell kit had hinged canopies and removable engines and the Monogram kit had a spring-loaded nuke that you could eject out the back - very cool.)

You might want to take a look at some of the pre-production mock-ups for some ideas. One had twin tails and looks very F-14ish, and at least one had a clear aft canopy for the B/N.

The short-lived A-5B had the fuselage hump added and was designed to carry a more "conventional" load of weapons on the wing pylons, as opposed to the A-5A with just the centerline tunnel. It would have been the closest thing to what you intend to model.

Mark

Edited by redcorvette

Thanks for the comments Mark!

Looks like the Trumpeter kit is my best bet after all, now I just need to figure out what to fill the rest of my Hannants order with. I'm sure I can come up with something though. :)

The A-5B is indeed the starting point I had in mind, and building one of those from the Trumpeter kit looks like it's as easy as leaving off the ventral canoe, which is a separate part just like in all the other Vigilante kits. And while it doesn't come with drop tanks, I still have the ones from the Revell kit I mentioned, which should be OK. Depending on how much work would be involved I also have a pair of Hornet exhausts I could try installing.

You might want to take a look at some of the pre-production mock-ups for some ideas. One had twin tails and looks very F-14ish, and at least one had a clear aft canopy for the B/N.

More F-15 than F-14 for the twin-tailed A-5, in fact aside from the Cockpit it could have been the F-15's big brother (one day I'm probably going to build such a beast). It didn't look much like the F-14's wider/flatter lifting body shape, the only real commonality was the twin tails & somewhat similar intake design.

IIRC the twin-tailed configuration was the preferred configuration for much of the design period, because of height limitations on the tail, it was also apparently a source of performance information for the F-15 design team due to the similar configuration, particularly the intakes.

Edited by mawz

Nice idea ... You mean this one ?

Yup, that's the one. SC made a couple of mods that I don't like (the LERXes look silly to me), plus it's too small, but the concept was really neat. I should have an untouched Revell A-6E decal sheet laying around so I don't need to mod any Hornet decals like SC did,