Art Model MiG-23UB painting instructions...

Hello,

I recently bought the aforementioned kit and I was stunned at the amount of different decal options in the box (I counted about 15!).

Problem is that I haven't any painting instructions: on checking the few reviews available online it seems there should be a colour guide to the many options but I found nothing in my kit.

Anyone who bought the same can help me sending a scan of the instructions?

Many thanks in advance

Fabio

Here is a scan of the painting instructions. I did find them somewhat confusing as they seemed to get numbers mixed up in places.

12039791094_3938f4983c_b.jpg

Art Model MiG-23UB Painting Guide Page 1 by ryanhothersall, on Flickr

12039688683_5e9026bb4f_b.jpg

Art Model MiG-23UB Painting Guide Page 2 by ryanhothersall, on Flickr

12039784424_b9f468517b_b.jpg

Art Model MiG-23UB Painting Guide Page 3 by ryanhothersall, on Flickr

12039683383_bb4c42503a_b.jpg

Art Model MiG-23UB Painting Guide Page 4 by ryanhothersall, on Flickr

I built the Cuban option and I found the decals to be very fragile and ended up resorting to aftermarket Aztec decals.

Another thing to watch out for is the exhaust won't fit proprtly.

See my build photos HERE

The completed build on ARC can be seen HERE

Some of instructions for positioning decals on Art Model's painting guide are wrong. For example:

- Iraqi MiG-23UB: fin flash was always - always - aligned with the ground, not with the horizontal axis of the plane. Because MiG-23UB is sitting nose-high when parked on the gorund, the fin flash was thus 'hanging' towards the front.

- 'Roundels' i.e. triangles on all Iraqi MiG-23s were applied so to point straight ahead when wings were fully swept. Not towards the leading edge of the wing. Of course, this meant that they were pointing 'inwards' when wings were fully swept to the front: that might appear 'awkward' to many of modell-builders, but nobody within the IrAF cared about what modell-builders might think.

- Serials on Angolan and Ethiopian MiG-23s were applied in similar fashion like fin flashes on Iraqi MiG-23s, i.e. aligned with the ground, not with plane's horizontal axis.

I strongly recommend finding some photo references whenever building any of these.

• 2 weeks later...