Mongolian MiG-21s

Hi guys,

For years I've been thinking about building a Mongolian MiG-21PFM. I thought I had taken care of kit, decals and even perhaps a bit of time to get around building it and then, suddenly!, there appeared the RV Aircraft kit sporting some decals for both upper and lower wings:

5046_1_RVA72040_2.jpg

I always thought the only markings (besides the bort number) were those on the vertical tail!? Don't get me wrong: the more, the merrier :D , but can perhaps some of you confirm the presence of those red stars on the wings?

Thank you!

Niki

Not on the same plane. Stars are the older version (not sure if used on PFMs).

Edit/correction:the old version had both on one plane (stars on wings), so it's at least not impossible.

Edited by Floggerman

I was checking the WWW today and came across this sheet from Blue Rider:

41417_0.jpg

The vertical tail [only] marking for the MiG-21 is noted as stemming [in this case] from 1990. The 'Stars' [the same style of which RV Aircraft is mentioning as appearing above and below the wings of the MiG-21] adorning the helicopters are 'timed' at 1994...

I wonder if the markings combination as shown by RV Aircraft could portrait a gate guard or something!?

When was the last flight of MiGs in Mongolia recorded? And what about that five-digit bort number (00257)? Weren't they usually three-digit ones?

Cheers!

:wave:

Edited by niki4703

yes, I found drawings (no photos) from newer times (a Hind for instance) with star also. Same with 5-digit numbers, only on drawings. So I'm confused...

Edited by Floggerman

I was checking the WWW today and came across this sheet from Blue Rider:

41417_0.jpg

The vertical tail [only] marking for the MiG-21 is noted as stemming [in this case] from 1990. The 'Stars' [the same style of which RV Aircraft is mentioning as appearing above and below the wings of the MiG-21] adorning the helicopters are 'timed' at 1994...

I wonder if the markings combination as shown by RV Aircraft could portrait a gate guard or something!?

When was the last flight of MiGs in Mongolia recorded? And what about that five-digit bort number (00257)? Weren't they usually three-digit ones?

Cheers!

:wave:/>/>/>/>/>

Well,

Some sources indeed say that the red star with the yellow "Zoyombo" were used after 1994...(i.e. after the break up of the USSR - when most "eastern" air forces deleted the red star markings :(/>/>/> )

Other sources say this:

"History

Mongolia obtained its first military aircraft in 1925, supplied by the Soviet Union. They probably carried normal Soviet insignia. By the mid-1930s Mongolian aircraft were carrying a traditional Buddhist ideogram called the 'zoyombo'. This comprised many elements including bravery, friendship, and the symbolism of the yin and yang. The zoyombo was marked on the fin and occasionally on the fuselage and was usually in red or yellow depending on the background colour. Soviet red stars were often carried in addition. Aircraft marked in this way took part in conflicts with Japanese forces from 1938 until 1945. After the war and the disruption of the Chinese civil war, Mongolia came even more within the Soviet sphere and aircraft tended to carry a simple red star, possibly surrounded by a thin red ring. The zoyombo returned in the early 1960s, usually marked in red on the fin and in yellow on a red star on the Wings. This is now marked in red on the fin only or, usually on helicopters, marked in yellow over the original red star. Since 1992 the red star element of the zoyombo has been discarded" (http://www.aircraft-insignia.com)

I also have some detailed informations published in 1981, depicting exactly this comfiguration, so I assume the a.m. is correct.

You can also see this configuration on Mongolian MiG-17s:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/ISL/Hi-Decal_Line/1.72/72021-72030/72030_MiG-17/HD72030.htm

Greetings

Diego

Hi-Decal

And what about that five-digit bort number (00257)? Weren't they usually three-digit ones?

Just a quick note for those who already saw this: no, there is no five-digit bort number. The "00257" is actually just the way the decals are laid out by RV Aircraft so the modeller can produce one of three MiGs (002, 005 or 007) :doh:

:)