1/48 HobbyBoss F-14D Super Tomcat + Fightertown Decals VF-31

Right on. Thanks for getting back to me on that. Synthetic makes sense... might be easier than having a group of cables and electrical wires glued to my fingers... always a fun sight... a bunch of white tassels sticking to my fingers as I'm airbrushing... Cheers!

Your landing gear detailing is most impressive. Is the NMF wire lead as it seems to bend easily to complex curves. Same for your wheel wells. The amount of wiring with thread really is more then one usually sees. I've tried thread at times, but like everyone else found that cotton thread fuzzes consistently. Nylon thread would seem like a better option. I bought a spool years ago, but just never got a round to trying it. Seeing your efforts has changed my mind on its merits. And your fabric shroud really is quite convincing. A nice solution to a issue to make it look more like fabric then plastic.

Joel

I've been thinking of trying Milliput for some wiring applications after seeing a few videos. It's a little fiddly to work with, but you can get it to do things that wire just can't do without a lot of extra trial and error fitting. Of course what one sees on a video always looks rather easy. I'm sure that there is a learning curve to it.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
  • 1 month later...

Been busy lately so not much progress. I was able to get the hardware I needed for the stand. I found a threaded steel rod and just looked around the nuts and bolts section until I found parts that fit. There are two 0.5" nuts in this contraption. On the far end is a bolt with washer to serve as a stop for the rod. The majority of the construct was built outside the plane while the nuts were threaded onto the rod. The small white plastic rods were fixed with CA glue to the nuts to hold their positions and then additional plastic rod was attached with CA glue/cement. The large hollow rod is good for this because it has a lot of strength but is still fairly light. You can also see the beginnings of the internal frame I like to build. This is mainly to distribute the stress from the stand but I realized I will have to re-engineer the wings and this will also serve as an anchor point.

A0E628E5-682D-4D5E-BCB9-E321E3686957_zpse2ilorcb.jpg

E9152C71-F049-44FA-8503-4B177E6822B6_zps9okebzjm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to doing some major renovations to the Tomcat.

The first was the intake bleed vents. The top hatch on the kit ones is too thick around the edges so I just built new ones. The opening wasnt wide enough and the angle was wrong. The exit ramps are also not rounded off enough so I just cut them out for replacement later. It's definitely subtle, but I'm taking all this time to improve everything else so I thought, why not. You can see the difference below.

2F285790-1DF7-4E44-B1F1-5A0185E86B20_zpsjx45jomq.jpg

E780EFC7-0659-403E-8A2A-58E1407FBCDF_zpsnktenmzm.jpg

EF2837FB-9214-4C87-BC00-B941D4DB39C5_zpscmom6mzf.jpg

The other issue that popped up was with the intake ramps. The kit is made to place them in the down position. If you raise them to the up position, there is a large gap in the intake which is normally not visible. I searched for any part that is supposed to go there later and fill it but couldn't find anything so I filled it with sheet styrene. Before and after is below---inboard side of the left intake.

969CB302-29C0-4988-946D-7113E51DBF47_zpskb20awj2.jpg

68844619-2A06-4D5F-9D0C-F4EFB2DAF0D6_zps6rphvg7f.jpg

And now for the final comitted step to the cutaway...the canopy. I placed it on the mocked up cockpit and marked with tape where I wanted the cuts, then taped everything else to protect it. I opted for a micro saw because I was worried the canopy might crack. The downside of that being a little bit of collateral damage on the back-seat canopy, but that is easily fixable.

F9519E59-1693-45F0-91F3-569C6F08B797_zpsrbzul4go.jpg

ABC37938-6D2D-4435-9AAF-F6FBDA62F1A0_zpszydxswsd.jpg

9A1E8DC7-5FA0-4A25-A5BF-664D9F4783CC_zpstk2aqhhi.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'm still looking for pilot helmets if anyone wants to sell or trade.

:sign_spam:/>

Edited by Christian Theodotou
  • 3 weeks later...

So sorry, i`ve steal some of your pìctures, the engine work is fantastic, i have an F-14B of HB waiting on my stash, but then i saw the part when you`ve cut the canopy and i felt lost...can you give me an idea of what are you going to do men?...by the way....gret work...!!!

• 1 month later...

Was very busy the past few months. Finally got to work on the tomcat this weekend. The intakes, engine bay, and rear gear bays are painted and the engine components from intakes to nozzles are installed. The inside of the fuselage is a bit of a mess because of the reinforcement that was needed to hold the parts in place and to be suspended later. Thanks for looking, comments/questions welcome.

8DC0E7DE-3AE7-4CBF-B168-F212039FABBA_zpsfshawlhb.jpg

9896085D-68F7-4CD8-A02B-47F1CF6C9415_zpsz5vs8tb3.jpg

ED301F75-23FF-43A1-807D-DF31D3FA8D84_zpsjhebjjlm.jpg

D10D018C-91DB-455D-B132-B80F686C20EB_zpscva578tm.jpg

E2F0894F-D966-4894-AFA2-65D58E5A4F2E_zpsnzcc0gsl.jpg