AGM-114 Hellfire questions

G'day people,

I figured this was the best place to seek out the knowledge of the Hellfire 'experten'

I am in the middle of building Kittyhawks 1/48 AH-1Z "Viper"

http://www.zone-five.net/showthread.php?t=29021

and want to hand some Hellfires off the racks.

I have a few questions. For clarity, when I say launcher, I mean the whole assembly (i.e 4 x rails), not just a single rail.

If different flavoured rounds are carried (say a mix of AGM-114L and K/K-2's), can they be fitted to the same launcher (station) ?If only a partial load is fitted (say 2 rounds instead of the full 4) to a launcher, is there a set order that they are loaded?Is there a set firing sequence? If a launcher was loaded with 4 rounds and fired off a round or two, does the launcher step and fire in a set pattern or does the SMS just select the first weapon station that is ready? I am assuming it would default to the latest variant first, i.e AGM-114 K before an AGM-114B for example. I may want to depict a launcher that fired a missile off and is returning with the remaining rounds for example.What doe the back end of a live Hellfire look like? Is there a weather seal/bung of some sort? Is it flush, recessed etc. The kit misiles are just flat and featureless.

Thanks very much,

Pappy

Hey-

On the AH-1Z, different missile types can be loaded on a single 4-rail M299 launcher. Be advised that the Navy/Marines don't use the AGM-114L "Longbow" (long nose) variant. I'm not sure why they were included in the kit. There is a default launch sequence to the launcher and I'm pretty sure it's lower OB, lower IB, upper OB and upper IB. I can verify later this week. But this sequence can be over-ridden by the aircrew depending on what's loaded on each station and the target, so they can put the right weapon on a given target. They usually carry a mix of M/N's and K/K-2s, B's have been pretty much tasked for training only. I'm not certain if there is a loading sequence or not. So really any combo of missiles or empty rails on a launcher is not really wrong.

I hope this is helpful. Post pics of your Zulu!

Phil

Edited by Par429

Hey-

On the AH-1Z, different missile types can be loaded on a single 4-rail M299 launcher. Be advised that the Navy/Marines don't use the AGM-114L "Longbow" (long nose) variant. I'm not sure why they were included in the kit. There is a default launch sequence to the launcher and I'm pretty sure it's lower OB, lower IB, upper OB and upper IB. I can verify later this week. But this sequence can be over-ridden by the aircrew depending on what's loaded on each station and the target, so they can put the right weapon on a given target. They usually carry a mix of M/N's and K/K-2s, B's have been pretty much tasked for training only. I'm not certain if there is a loading sequence or not. So really any combo of missiles or empty rails on a launcher is not really wrong.

I hope this is helpful. Post pics of your Zulu!

Phil

G'day Phil,

Outstanding answer.It looks like I can mix my missiles then. Shame the "L" is not cleared, I don't know why it was included in the kit, perhaps it will be evaluated and cleared at a later time,

thanks very much,

Pappy

In order for the L to be cleared, they would have to mount a Longbow radar on the Zulu, and I don't think that's happening any time soon. The only airframe cleared for the Lima is the AH-64D/E Apache with the Longbow radar actually mounted. I suppose (theoretically) the Apache could act as a designator, and the Zulu could launch on its guidance (similar to what they now do with laser-guided Hellfires some times) but again, I don't see that happening either.

So, long story, short answer...I don't know why they were included either. :woot.gif: I haven't looked at my kit close enough...Are all missiles included the Lima, or just some? Or is it like the Hasegawa Limas where they are modular, and you can just add an additional part to make it a Lima?

Aaron

In order for the L to be cleared, they would have to mount a Longbow radar on the Zulu, and I don't think that's happening any time soon. The only airframe cleared for the Lima is the AH-64D/E Apache with the Longbow radar actually mounted. I suppose (theoretically) the Apache could act as a designator, and the Zulu could launch on its guidance (similar to what they now do with laser-guided Hellfires some times) but again, I don't see that happening either.

So, long story, short answer...I don't know why they were included either. :woot.gif:/> I haven't looked at my kit close enough...Are all missiles included the Lima, or just some? Or is it like the Hasegawa Limas where they are modular, and you can just add an additional part to make it a Lima?

Aaron

G'day AAron,

I guess that kinda puts the final nail in the coffin.

The KH Hellfires are modular, KH supply 8 x one piece bodies and 2 x nose types. You get enough of each nose to make 8 missiles. I already glued 4 x "L" noses so I will only fit 2 per rack. I will still make up the "L" just for the hell of it, I also have a few Apaches D's to do so they won't go to waste.

The non "L" noses are pretty bland. They would be okay for inert rounds but there is no lens detail at all, not even a scribed line to delineate the seeker. It is a pretty poor effort IMHO. That was one of the main reasons I wanted to use the "L" variants, it is a lot easier to represent their radome by just masking off the radome area.

The M-261 pods are nice and fit well, I don't see what a resin pod would bring, unless it had rocket noses poking out of the front which I don't think has been done in 1/48?

I have not used any of the kit decals yet and they are pretty light on weapon stencils. I have some aftermarket Hellfire decals which are very complete. I think it may be a good thing that I am only doing 4!

Thank you for your reply,

cheers

Pappy

Thank's for the answer Pappy. I know the decal colors are off too, at least on the line bird. I provided the reference shots for both, so I was hoping they'd do them right. I have Floyd's new sheet for mine when I get to it. Kind of a shame, I really wanted to do the boss bird.

Aaron

IMG_3592-Copy_zpseb8a23e1.jpg