Any good pics of F-4E 6?-313 "Spunky" in Vietnam?

This is the only one I have been able to find:

F-4E%20-%2067-0313%20-%20f4spunkycol.jpg

Any idea of the correct serial number for it? I have seen sources mentioning it was a FY 67, 68 and even 66 airframe. Anybody know for sure? Decals and profiles only serve to confuse things!

Also, you will note that in the picture I posted it doesn't have artwork on the right intake side. Would be great to know if it was actually there at some poit in time. At least one decal manufacturer provides decals for both sides.

Any PICTURES of the actual aircraft would be most welcome.

Many thanks in advance! :cheers:

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

The confusion is there because Korat had 2 tail# 313 assigned

One 66-313 and the other one 68-313.

The book by Don Logan (who has been a F-4 WSO with the 469th TFS until being shot down on July 5th, 1972) "The 388th TFW at Korat RTAFB 1972" has several pics of both.

How to differnciate?

66-313 had the Tailcode JV assigned to the 469th TFS, a long Midas gun muzzle and the complete serial presentation in white (non standard I guess for the same reason as you have)

68-313 had the tailcode JJ assigned to the 34th TFS, a short early gun muzzel and the serial presentation AF 80(!) in black and 313 in white. So your jet is 68-313 as you can clearly see all three facts. Just make sure it is AF80313.

Cheers

Michael

Many thanks for the replies, gentlemen!

Michael, your explanation is just terrific. I searched high and low, believe me, but was becoming really frustrated as I couldn't get any facts!

I have a Microscale sheet for it in 1/72. Will check later how accurate it is.

So all my questions will be answered in Don Logan's book. I have a lot of Phantom books but have been unable to catch up with the latest ones. Will have to get one when I can.

I had checked Don Logan's page, but unfortunately no pics of Spunky there:

http://www.sharpshooter-maj.com/html/twtd02.htm

Many thanks for all the details. That's exactly what I was needing! :woot.gif:

Best regards,

Jorge.

I have a Microscale sheet for it in 1/72. Will check later how accurate it is.

So all my questions will be answered in Don Logan's book. I have a lot of Phantom books but have been unable to catch up with the latest ones. Will have to get one when I can.

I had checked Don Logan's page, but unfortunately no pics of Spunky there:

http://www.sharpshooter-maj.com/html/twtd02.htm

I have the same sheet. I think it has the crew names wrong. A captain in the front seat and a Colonel in the backseat. No way, even nowadays. Especially when the Air Force started training dedicated WSOs around 68. The "E" arriving in Korat brought the first of them into theater, no PSOs anymore. So they all had quite junior ranks except for some re-qualified heavies and EW navigators/EWOs.

You might want to ask Eli Raphael from Zotz Decals. He just came out with a Korat sheet covering that jet es well. He is a member here on the forum as well and might be able to give you some info.

You´ll not find pics of the intake art in Dons book. The intake art flourished in 68-69 and the disappeared.

Te deseo mucha suerte y que nos mantengas al corriente!

Michael

Edited by SCOUT712