Removable Panels in Aircraft

I am building this old monogram 1/48 P-51 Mustang as a gift. Similar to this one:

monogram 1/48 P-51 Mustang

The kit has a cowling cover and the machine guns access panel in the port wing. These panels are loose and won't snap in.

Is there a way to make them snap and fit in place? I want to have options.

Any idea?

Edited by MiG Hunter

I am building this old monogram 1/48 P-51 Mustang as a gift. Similar to this one:

monogram 1/48 P-51 Mustang

The kit has a cowling cover and the machine guns access panel in the port wing. These panels are loose and won't snap in.

Is there a way to make them snap and fit in place? I want to have options.

Any idea?

The Monogram kit is a pretty old mold. It was never intended for it to make the access panels to be "removable" and otherwise stay in place. I don't know of a way to "snap" in however you might want to consider magnets, similar to what Tamiya is doing with their 1/32 scale aircraft kits. Magcraft makes a variety of small magnets, its just a matter of getting the right size magnets that are small but enough strength to hold the cowling in place. They can be found in some HobbyTowns (no longer called HobbyTown USA). Here's their website-

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com

I've successfully used their magnets in a number of modeling applications.

Mofo's link was way cool; Gotta get me some! Meanwhile there's very adaptable magnetic tape. Microscale sells a product called Liquitape; an adhesive that remains tacky. A small dot in proper angles and you can swap out doors, panels and ordnance! I've used it to reposition landing gear when changing from landed to flying display. Don't let the pets near it.

Hope that helps