Getting paint to stick to clear Polystyrene

Gents / Ladies, this is actually non-modelling for a change, but as the material and technique probably can be read across I thought I'd try and see if you guys can give any hints. Anyone who has had paint lifting after masking will probably have gone through this! 

I am trying to make switch fascia panels for the flight sim rig that I have built, and want to use clear 2mm polystyrene sheet that is available locally made by a company called Gutta. The intention is to coat the front of the sheet with a black coating, then CNC engrave the switch names and fascia details onto the front, revealing the clear substrate so that I can illuminate it from the back with LED's. I have everything working fine except for the fact that the spray can acrylic lacquer based paint I have used just flakes off during the engraving.

I have sanded the surface to give it a key, didn't work. I then tried spraying lacquer thinners onto the face after sanding the surface first (it does dissolve the surface, I checked on a test piece) then sprayed the paint onto the still slightly sticky surface, but it still flakes away..

So what I need is either a paint that aggressively grips or etches onto the surface or some other way of covering the face of the sheet.

Any suggestions from you good folks?

Cheers

Les

Are you positive you are not dealing with polycarbonate?  

Either way, you are probably better off not using an acrylic based paint for this.   I know for sure this will work with polycarbonate and poly-specific paint because I did just this to a guitar pickguard about 15 years ago.  It is more durable, too.   If you are dead set on polystyrene, then maybe go with a lacquer based paint?  No way that will flake off. 

It's the only stuff available locally (Hungary) and the data sheet says polystyrene.

I'll have to see if I can get a lacquer based paint here, not sure where though. It used to be common for cars but they changed that years ago

Cheers

Les