Moson Model Show 2023

I am back from the annual and also 25th anniversary Moson Model Show, the international modelling event from the small city in Hungary near the border with Austria.

Just short infos: the weather was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! Real early summer with above 20 C, clear blue sky’s, lots of sunshine and millions of visitors. OK not really millions, but thousands of them. : )  : )  Since there is no entry fee to the event it is difficult to tell exactly the number of visitor.

Simple numbers: there were 3025 modells of every sort entered into the competition. They were registered by 875 modellers from all over the world. (More on this later)

Some of the good news, and really just some of it, new releases:

like the 72nd Clear Prop MiG-23ML went on sale in 3 or 4 version. The Spanish AMMO of Mig had on show the 48th scale MiG-17F, Annetra had on sale the 48th scale Mi-17 kit in 3 versions, KP had on sale the 72nd scale MiG-19PM in several boxings, Eduard had on sale the float plane version of the Zero . . .

A bit of bad news: the new traders hall which is in fact a training / sports hall of the complex at Moson had its first real test. It is big enough, lots of space and not as crowded as next door Secondary School building in previous years. The bad news about it, is that it is designed to be a training hall for different sports i.e. to have a two teams of say 15 or 20 persons and not hundreds of visitors. Added to this the hot weather, it had no air, no real ventilation and even oen of the doors providing easy access to the main event hall was closed by an idiot, saying that it is only an emergency exit and people should use the one and only entry into the hall! Simply stupid! In the end he even blocked this "emergeny" door! I would have been interested in the opinion of the fire department about this, since this would have been the emergency exit for hundreds of people which was blocked!!!!!!! Oh well, there are people . . .

I am sure eventually the organizers will be able to solve the ventilation of the hall, mainly by opening the windows high up on the walls. Switching on the four industrial ventilators is not a solution, since they sounded like standing next to a jet engine at full throttle and provided little or no benefit in turnign the air around!

One small snippet of good fresh news is that later in the year (2023) there will be the Plastic Winter show in Bratislava after some 4 or 5 years of absence! At least one more international show which was always a good event to attend!

For me it was good to speak to many friends both old and new, many visitors and a lot of modellers from all around the world! 

Just as in previous years apart from few photos of models on show I don’t intend to post hundreds after hundreds of photos of individual items in competition. There are others who like and love to do this, I leave it to them. For me the atmosphere of the show, people attending, what the show provides is far more important. So I stick to this.

Have to go through my photos but promise to be back soon!

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

Actually the air there was not as bad as the one with vendors on the first floor, just under the roof inside the main hall. It was sauna up there.

Click on the below pic if you wanna see my article from my first ever pilgrimage to Moson.

moson_othr-117.jpg

Hi Sebastijan,

Good to hear this!  Glad that you liked it.  Have to say it is all thanks to the organizers and all the years of experience behind them! They did a great work this year once again!

Max respect to them!!!!!

It would have been nice to meet at the show!

I was there only for Saturday but going around to see people, meet with friends, doing some research, preparing new projects with some manufacturers . . .   So it was a very full day for me from 7.30 AM to 18.15 PM but always time to see some new faces. Well actually not much of my face was visible since I had a mask but a very special and individual mask (home made) with F-14 style AIR INTAKE warning sign on it. : )  : )  : ) 

Best regards

Gabor

Yeah Gabor it was just overwhelming for me - I met so many modelling friends from all over Europe and made new ones, it was just crazy. We have to plan in advance for the next year - and possibly any ARCer that might come as well!

So 25th anniversary Moson Model Show. Here we go. At last managed to sift through the photos. First of all for anyone who is not familiar with the location. Here are some infrastructure images to give you an idea where the competition took place.

We arrived to the show half past seven when everything was still closed (more or less). Wanted to give a view of what it looks like before the STORM of competitors, vendors, visitors, modellers . . .

Here is the main sports hall floor with the competition table ready as well as the judges tables in the middle of each block. One has to add that set up was possible on Friday afternoon both for traders and also for modellers entering the competition so the tables were already partly full even before the event officially opened at 8 AM on Saturday.

dy1nbEI.jpg 

The trading hall which is in fact a sports training hall which was used by the Moson Model Show for the very first time. It is nothing more than a playing field with no stands inside. Basically it is designed for two teams competing against each other, so about 20 people moving around. The conditioning is designed to cater for this and not for hundreds of people going around in endless circles to vendors stands. Still it could be made to work.

From outside

bPQlFq1.jpg 

and inside

k4vkoSm.jpg

fC4prZR.jpg

The Eduard stand or corner booth used innovatively the goals of the hall as a divider but still providing a view.

RSdCcMo.jpg

There are no official estimates of attending visitor. Asked the main organizer but he could only say thousands. If one takes into account that almost one thousand competitors had their models on show, all the trading companies and the visitors who in most cases did not come alone this would add up to something near 10 thousand. And it is a two day event.

Of course for this sort of numbers one has to provide also some catering. Many companies set up stands in the area between the main hall and the traders / training hall. One Czech friend complained that he could not find a traditional Hungarian sausage stand from the years past, but apart from this I don’t believe that anyone went away hungry.

J721qAu.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

After returning yesterday from my 5th Mosonshow I must say, that this was the best until now in my opinion! It was a fantastic experience to be there! You probably never else can see so many nicely built models concentrated at one place on this planet. Please correct me, if I am wrong!

For me, the event started like a disaster on late Friday afternoon, when one of my models for the competition (a MiG-21M in 1:48) crashed, after the box fell upsite down with the model inside. Many parts, most of them were small and some very small, were broken and a few lost. It was alone my own fault, when I was inattentive after a 1000km drive from Trier to Mosonmagyaróvár. I took the model with me to the hotel in Bratislava and was able to mend it at midnight. After an excellent sleep and breakfast, the Mosonshow turned to be very successful for me on Saturday and Sunday.

The hotels in Mosonmagyaróvár mostly are booked out quickly after the date of the coming Mosonshow is announced. Since I am too late every year, I have to drive a longer distance to my hotel, which is either in Bratislava or Györ. Both cities are very nice and 40km away from the Mosonshow and are offering plenty of sightseeing and nightlife opportunities.

Some modelling producers usually bring their freshest products to the Mosonshow every year and this one was no exception. Ya-gabor already has revealed the news about the Ammo of MIG MiiG-17. During a visit at the Eduard stand, I was informed, that they will release a 1:48 Su-25K in Czechoslovak service. It actually will be the Zvezda kit, but is accompanied by decals and a book. The kit will be supplemented by sets of the cockpit and released slats and flaps in their Brassin range, which is very interesting! Their 1:48 Mig_21F probably is coming by the end of this year and the MiG-21U? twoseaters are going to be postponed for later. WWP books has recently released two excellent books about the late Mi-24V/35 and the Su-25, which is a revised one of their earlier offering. Next will be on the NH-90 helicopter and next year, they will pay attention on a famous jet again.

The list of attending VIPs also is impressive, at least for a modelling event. One Minister of the national gouvernement, an Army General, a commander of a nearby air defence unit and the Mayor of the city.

For the next Mosonshow, I am having two wishes: First, that I meet ya-gabor personally, what I have missed this year and second, that modellers and traders from the Ukraine and Russia can be part of it again! Both are sorely missed!

Congratulation to the organizers for this exceptional modelling event, which gave any participant and visitor a sublime feeling to be part of something very special! Until next year!

Edited by falcon91352

Hi falcon91352,

Thanks for your views on the Moson Show! It is good to hear the different stories on what people think of the event or how they made it.

There is absolutely no problem in meeting next time. It was the same on this show, from early morning Saturday to after 18PM I had the chance to speak to many friends, old and new. I have missed out only on one agenda for the show 2023 in seeing Mr.Paint, somehow we missed each other but apart from that spoken and bumped into many with whom had previously “arranged” for a meet at Moson.

See you next year!

Best regards

Gabor

7 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I have missed out only on one agenda for the show 2023 in seeing Mr.Paint,

Yeah I believe Mr.Molnar was there only on Saturday and was a very sought after person, so to say. I managed to say hello to him and exchange a few words, but that was it... I am now starting to understand why US IPMS Nationals last for so many days 😄

Edited by Sebastijan
3 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

Yeah I believe Mr.Molnar was there only on Saturday and was a very sought after person, so to say. I managed to say hello to him and exchange a few words, but that was it... I am not starting to understand why US IPMS Nationals last for so many days 😄

The only problem was that we have agreed before Moson to meet on Saturday concerning a long term business we had. I was not sure if he managed to get to the show. But absolutely no problem we will speak next time.

So thanks Sebastijan, now I know that he managed to get to the show! Glad he is OK!!! 

Best regards

Gabor